File in use error when saving to windows server share

Reaction score
Some of my users are having problems saving documents to their shared folder. They get a message about the file being in use even though it is not in use. I tried rebooting their computer and this doesn't fix the problem. They are running OS 10.4 and our server is running Windows 2003. I am guessing that there is a setting in OS X that sets a file's flag to "in use." Anybody knows how to correct this? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Does the windows server say that there are files open?

What type of file or is it multiple types?

Ideally you should put a "sparseimage" file created by disk utility in the windows share. Then mount the sparseimage file across the network and save files to that. If they are files that are required by PC users then that wouldn't work.

How are you mounting the windows share?

OP
J
Reaction score
Does the windows server say that there are files open?

What type of file or is it multiple types?

Ideally you should put a "sparseimage" file created by disk utility in the windows share. Then mount the sparseimage file across the network and save files to that. If they are files that are required by PC users then that wouldn't work.

How are you mounting the windows share?

This happens with different files, mostly Word documents. The odd thing is that the server does not show those files as open.

We are using AFP to mount the share.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
We are using AFP to mount the share.

Try SMB instead. But be sure SMB signing is off in the default domain policy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.