G4 problems

Reaction score
We are having a lot of problems with my sons G4.

1. Desktop icons keep disappearing into the 'Desktop' folder

2. itunes music has moved from itunes to the itunes music folder

3. programs like Messenger keep requiring setting up with user names etc

4. it keeps asking for a 'keychain password' - don't know what this is?

Can anyone help please?

M

MacHeadCase

It would help if you could post the G4's specs and model and the version of the OS it is running on (the version's number not Tiger or Panther).

Then we could look at solutions or troubleshooting procedures that apply to that Mac.

OP
G
Reaction score
OK - sorry. Its imac G4 (17" flat-panel) with an 800Mhz processor with 1Gb of RAM running OSX 10.4.1

Please let me know if you need any more details?

M

MacHeadCase

Ok so it isn't Panther 10.3.x. I was wondering, is there any reason why you haven't updated your system to the latest version? The latest version is 10.4.9 with some security plugs here and there along the way...

Ok so first, I would run Apple's Disk Utility to repair disk permissions 'cause I think the system could be messed up a lot. And then, I would download MainMenu, use it to clean out all the caches and use the rebuild commands to update the Locate Database and LaunchServices. You will need to restart at some point. Do not worry if you feel the iMac is taking longer than usual as the system will be rebuilding from scratch all its cache files.

Am I mistaken in thinking that you probably haven't run the maintenance tasks for a while? From now on, you should use MainMenu every day to run the daily maintenance tasks, choose a day for the weekly task and once a month run the monthly task. This will make sure that problems like these will be minimized in the future and it really doesn't take long or much of your time anyway.

And if you plan on updating to 10.4.9, a few precautions: you need to unplug all the peripherals, except keyboard, mouse and the modem cable, from your iMac, restart and launch System Preferences so you can use Software Update.

During the update, do not stop your download or the installation and do not run any other application: just let the updater do its thing without hindrance and you should be fine.

Good luck and let us know how this goes.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks very much for all the advice. We've done all that and it seemed to go fine and all is behaving nicely now.

thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.