Treo 700p...

Reaction score
Yes, I am sync with iSync to iCal. Like I said, I put the entries in the palm first and then sync to ical. Works just fine doing it that way. I have also heard good things about the 3rd party "Missing Sync" software available online.

OP
C
Reaction score
Yes, I am sync with iSync to iCal. Like I said, I put the entries in the palm first and then sync to ical. Works just fine doing it that way. I have also heard good things about the 3rd party "Missing Sync" software available online.
Yeah I guess I'm gonna use missing sync.

One thing, when I imported all my contact information from Entourage to mac mail.app the email address when into a category "other"...it works fine in mail but I want to know if that is going to work when syncing to the Treo or does it need to actually say "Email"/

Like I said, my Treo Guru RIDE is AWOL.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
[broken record mode]

...sounds like you're getting closer to that iPhone Bones!! :dive:

[/broken record mode]

p.s.> hopefully at least a few people here are old enough to remember messed up vinyl LPs that would just skip in place, repeating the same little segment over and over ... just like me an the iPhone comment!

Just pulling your leg CrossBones! I clearly understand that you don't want one! It just DOES seem like the perfect answer to your question.

OP
C
Reaction score
Not really Mac57. RIDE has helped me a lot. He loves his Treo and so do a lot of others. The ones that don't seem to like it are those who load up 50 third party apps which then conflict with each other and they blame Palm for it.

I'm really ready to go. I stlil have this outstanding question out there regarding the import I did into Addressbook.app. The email addy went into a category "other" and I'm wondering if that is OK once I sync addressbook.app and iCal using Missing Sync. Like I said, the email addys work fine in mail.app so I'm just wanting to know what to expect. maybe I have to go into each record and change "other" to "Email"...just don't know.

BTW, now that I have kicked Entourage to the curb after many years I am very happy. Mail.app is much better and is n=more intuitively "mac" which is just great. I have it all dialed in now and love it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I've had a 700P for 6 months or so and love it. I ditched entourage about 3 years ago and have simply been using Apple Mail, so synching my Palm address book with Apples address Book has not been an issue. I have used iSync on occasion, but the latest version kicks in automatically without having to invoke it to get the sync done. No real issues with it integrating with the Mac. Yes you have to have Palm Desktop because all of the Sync software comes with it, but I never use it for anything other than the sync and upload file functions.

1) Have my phone and Palm in one device
2) Be able to retrieve my email while am on the road which is constantly.
3) Since it seems stupid to have two address books (one in my email an d one on my Palm) I'd like them to bed the same.

I do all of those things. My company doesn't support the mobile mail feature, but I was able to set up an e-mail address on my personal mail server that works through Verizon's Wireless Sync service. I fwd my work e-mails to that and then it pushes them to my phone. A round about way, but it works.

All in all, I've been pretty darn happy with this phone, and having my address book with me at all times (I travel a lot as well) has been a boon for me.

OP
C
Reaction score
I'm really ready to go. I stlil have this outstanding question out there regarding the import I did into Addressbook.app. The email addy went into a category "other" and I'm wondering if that is OK
Hey baggss...since you went from Entourge to mail and the Treo like I am planning can you answer the question quoted above?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One thing everyone should keep in mind about Mail though is that it does not use industry standard MBX format any more, which means that exporting your mail to another email client could be difficult. Mail used to use this format until Tiger came out - then they changed it to make it easier for Spotlight to scan each message (so I read somewhere).

The upshot of this would appear to be that once you start using Mail, and assuming you wish to keep your older emails accessible, you are locked in to Mail.

This link:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20060706201156481

Does show you how to select groups of messages and write them out as an MBX file, but it has to be done manually, essentially a mailbox at a time. This is too much work for me - I have been using email since it first became available on PCs, back in the early 90s, and I am a packrat. I have pretty much every email I have ever sent or received since then. Not surprisingly therefore, I really value the ability to migrate my email amongst email clients. Clients come and clients go, but the email should stay accessible!

Because of this, I tend to stick to Mozilla Thunderbird, which uses MBX format AND is wonderfully cross platform - I have used it on Windows, Linux and Mac OS X.

I have to admit though that when Leopard comes out, with those clever new Mail.app features, I may start to use Mail.app for day to day email, and simply export each month's mail over to Thunderbird, per the above link, using Thunderbird as sort of an email archiver.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
how bout "the missing sync" ?

its working wonderful with my wx

OP
C
Reaction score
Just want to update those that participated in this thread...

I did it. I bought the Treo 700p (see my sig) and have it up and running. It's great (so far). RIDE has guided me through a few things and has been very helpful. I got rid of Entourage (yea -- no mas M$) and moved everything over to Address.app and iCal, got Missing Sync and have everything synced up. Set up my email and it's running just fine using the default Versamail (for now). Also set up tons of one touch speed dials and one key to bring up my "tasks" lists right from the phone app. I'm very happy.

So what's the best case to get for this thing (I don't want any sort of "flip" case)? I have looked at Vaja cases which seem to be the best around although I have read horror stories about getting them -- like 6-8 weeks and more! Anybody have any ideas or recommendations?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I used a clear rubber "case" on mine, and my used a pink rubber case on hers... After about a month and a half, I took the rubber case off of mine.

I keep my 700p in my pocket, and the rubber skin made it difficult to pull out, and put back in.

I now use my 700p withOUT protection.

My wife still uses her Pink rubber skin, but keeps her 700p in her purse.

EDIT: In reading this post, it almost sounds like I'm not talking about the 700p... I SWEAR am am ONLY talking about the 700p :D:D:D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Congrats on the purchase CrossBones. I admit that the Treo is a pretty compelling device, despite all my earlier comments. ENJOY!!!

OP
C
Reaction score
I used a clear rubber "case" on mine, and my used a pink rubber case on hers... After about a month and a half, I took the rubber case off of mine.

I keep my 700p in my pocket, and the rubber skin made it difficult to pull out, and put back in.

I now use my 700p withOUT protection.

My wife still uses her Pink rubber skin, but keeps her 700p in her purse.

EDIT: In reading this post, it almost sounds like I'm not talking about the 700p... I SWEAR am am ONLY talking about the 700p :D:D:D
In other words you're walking around with a "naked Treo". This is not good.
rofl3.gif

I'm leaning towards one of these Vaja cases. Simple but have a little protection.

Congrats on the purchase CrossBones. I admit that the Treo is a pretty compelling device, despite all my earlier comments. ENJOY!!!
So far (3 days) I am VERY happy with this thing. It's doing everything I want. That isn't to say once the iPhone comes out I won't want one. I'll look into it then. Heck the Treo really only ended up costing me $249 + Tax. That's not the end of the world. For sure I'll keep it for a year at least. I'd like them to work out any bugs with the iPhone before venturing into that arena.

OP
C
Reaction score
***UPDATE*** v1.01

Well, I've had my Treo 700 for about three weeks now. AWESOME!!!!

I absolutely love it.

I must admit that RIDE has helped me through a couple of small issues and after fixing those the darn thing "just works, baby"!

I have purchased Missing Sync and it works very nicely. All my iCal and Address Book are synced with my G5 and it works great. I am receiving email on my Treo without any problems whatsoever.

I have ordered a Vaja leather case for my Treo and it should ship next week. Yea!

Also I have ordered a BoxWave ClearTouch Crystal™ screen protector as the one they sent with the device had to be cut out and I messed it up. After doing a little research these ClearTouch Crystal™ things are suppose to be the bomb. We'll see... $12.95. D'oh.

I must admity that after looking around at TreoCentral I was almost discouraged enough that I wasn't going to buy a Treo. But after hearing from RIDE and baggss I decided to go for it and I'm glad I did. As I mentioned before the one thing that seems to be problematic with the Treo is adding all sorts of third party apps to the device. It's a matter of confusion to the darn thing...so with my bare bones (no pun intended) needs I have my calendar, contacts, email and phone all in one neat little package and have not had problems as I heard about at TreoCentral.

Anyway...that's it!

Out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.