Where to start looking in console for internet connection problems?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook (refurb), 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo, 2 GB Memory, 60GB HDD
My internet connection keeps dropping out. I have tried the internet at uni and at home, and I'm experiencing the same problem: webpages would be loading up fine for a while, and then randomly, will then struggle to load any page up at all. After another random period of time, the internet will suddenly work again and I can load up webpages easily again.

I am using a Macbook on a wireless network (both at home and at uni). At both locations I have a strong signal with the wireless network.

I can't remember a major/minor change I made to my system that might have triggered this problem. I haven't installed any new programs on recently. I have no special programs accessing/blocking the internet.

I've tried looking in console for some errors but there's nothing that stands out to me. I looked in console.log immediately after the internet 'cut off' but no errors/logs appeared.

Is there a special place that I'm supposed to look for network/internet errors?

Have you got any other tips/suggestions on how I can figure out this problem?

Reaction score
G'day StevenH,

First port of call with connection problems IMHO should be your ISP ... they will have a log and should be able to help you troubleshoot this. Give 'em a call and ask them to look in your connection log and hopefully this can easily be explained.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook (refurb), 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo, 2 GB Memory, 60GB HDD
Hi Pulse-8, thanks for your reply.

I don't think it's an ISP problem, because whenever I encounter the problem, I immediately checked on other machines at uni AND at home, and they can access the internet fine.

Without trying to curse myself, the problem seems to have disappeared by itself after constantly happening in the last couple days. Fingers crossed that it won't come back in the near future (I just don't have the time to be troubleshooting computer problems atm)...

But I'll definitely let you know if there's any more problems! ty

Reaction score
Well that's good news StevenH! I hope that's the last time you have connection problems.

In the odd chance the problem comes back ... take note of any website you can't access - browser used at time of problems ....

I don't know where to look for log info re: internet connection loss btw, but someone else here may .... Cheers ;o)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.