Watermark

Reaction score
I need help creating a watermark. Im using gimp and i want a line of text that i can copy and paste into photos as a watermark. I cant get rid of the background so only the text shows up. Everytime i cut the background and save it just turns the background white. If anyone could help me that would be great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina 5K iMac 3.2Ghz Quad 24GB RAM, 1TB HD. iPhone 11.
Not used Gimp in a few years but in Photoshop you would just add the text on a new layer and adjust the opacity of that layer and then merge down. Sure that must be possible in Gimp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
I need help creating a watermark. Im using gimp and i want a line of text that i can copy and paste into photos as a watermark. I cant get rid of the background so only the text shows up. Everytime i cut the background and save it just turns the background white. If anyone could help me that would be great.

if you're creating a separate file for the watermark, which you could then easily copy and paste over the photo, you'd need to save it in a format that supports transparency. Jpeg for instance, doesn't. png would be a good choice, but for ultimate control, keep it in a gimp format. Not sure the file extension for that, but for photoshop, it's .psd, so I'd keep a .psd of my watermark, and just copy and paste that.

Hope that's what you're after.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
Professional looking watermarks are a litle more work than that. Take a lot at this thread:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55802&highlight=watermark

for a few more details. Also good ol' ImageWell will do watermarks too. What an excellent little app.

true, but would professionals use GIMP? ;)

I'm not sure if GIMP supports actions like photoshop does, I haven't used it that much yet myself. It would certainly make things a lot easier for watermarking if it did.

I think the problem lay in the file format the original poster was using though. Either way, I'm sure the linked topic would have been an inspiration. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Actually, actions don't have to be involved. What I have done is taken the time to create a really nice looking watermark, on a layer by itself in a PSD file. Then I simply drag that layer onto any photo I want to watermark and merge the layers. Done! Takes almost no time at all. This will work for GIMP and Photoshop. Does that help perhaps?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
Actually, actions don't have to be involved. What I have done is taken the time to create a really nice looking watermark, on a layer by itself in a PSD file. Then I simply drag that layer onto any photo I want to watermark and merge the layers. Done! Takes almost no time at all. This will work for GIMP and Photoshop. Does that help perhaps?

heheh, that's actually a little at what I was getting at in my first post. Though, replace my 'copy and paste' with your drag and drop. ;) I think that's one of the best ways to go about it. You know where the original is, and it's fairly easy to make any changes you might need.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
What I have done is taken the time to create a really nice looking watermark, on a layer by itself in a PSD file. Then I simply drag that layer onto any photo I want to watermark and merge the layers. Done! Takes almost no time at all.
I have done the same thing, only I created the watermark in Illustrator as in AI file. Then all I have to do is copy/paste it on the image in Photoshop as a "smart object". That way I can resize it larger or smaller, depending on the image I am marking, and it retains its vector properties. No quality loss, pixelization, or dithering of the watermark that way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
I have done the same thing, only I created the watermark in Illustrator as in AI file. Then all I have to do is copy/paste it on the image in Photoshop as a "smart object". That way I can resize it larger or smaller, depending on the image I am marking, and it retains its vector properties. No quality loss, pixelization, or dithering of the watermark that way.

good tip. On the note of vectors, it might be a good idea (haven't yet tested it...) to pdf the watermark, and have photoshop place it, rather than having to open up both photoshop AND illustrator to complete the process.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
good tip. On the note of vectors, it might be a good idea (haven't yet tested it...) to pdf the watermark, and have photoshop place it, rather than having to open up both photoshop AND illustrator to complete the process.
You can do that, but you don't even have to convert the .ai file to .pdf in Illustrator or even have Illustrator open. Photoshop will convert the .ai to .pdf when you place the item anyway.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.