Help Me Choose!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM
Alright so I want to buy a digicam coming up here pretty soon and I think I have narrowed my choices down to a few. I was just wondering what you thought about these two cameras, or (to throw in a bone) suggest any others. If so, I need it to fit in my pocket and be upwards of 7 megapixels with some type of image stabilization...

here are my narrowed down choices after some research, what do you think?

Canon Powershot SD800 IS
or
Sony DSC-T10W

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I vote Canon, since I have one and love it, plus it has IS, which is a very nice feature.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
I love Canon's and have had my PowerShot for 3 years and never been disappointed with performance in any way. With the SD 800 IS you're getting a lot of features for the money (easy to use too!). I don't think you could choose a better cam. Good luck!

M

MacHeadCase

Here are both models' specs so you can compare them by side side:Canon PowerShot SD800 IS Digital ELPH and the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T10.

The Canon has a slightly stronger zoom at 3.8X while the Sony's is 3X. (You never compare digital zoom 'cause it's yucky.)

The lens that Canon model uses has one stop more, to let a bit more light in, F2.8/F5.8 (but you loose the lens aperture once the lens is fully extended) while the Sony is F3.5/F4.3 (you gain a stop once the lens is fully extended).

In the manual control, the Canon allows for White Balance tweaking and the highest ISO setting is better at 1600 while Sony's is 1000 (although you will want to use this as least as possible as the noise is just like ping pong balls).

Here's one review of the DCRP Review: Canon PowerShot SD800 IS Digital ELPH while the Sony model doesn't have one for now at Digital Camera Resource Page, a website I trust a whole lot for reviews.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
You may also wish to check out DPReview (www.dpreview.com) which has extensive reviews of pretty much every digicam in existence. I have always spent many hours reading their excellent and unbiased reviews prior to any camera purchase decision.

OP
ste6168
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.5ghz Powerbook G4 17" 2gb RAM
thanks everyone, I actually just got done reading the review on the canon the MHC provided and have used a couple from the elph line in the past so i think I am going to go with that camera.... really cant wait. thanks for the help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
I just bought a Canon Powershot A540 and I love it. It takes great pictures in my opinion. When it comes to digital cameras Canon is definitely the way to go! :)

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
again, i've got to put my support behind this guy:

[click for larger pic]

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1
5MP / 10x zoom / image stabilization.

i love this camera. one drawback i can see some people not wanting to deal with is the relative bulkyness of it compared to some cameras with smaller optics and the fact that it has an actual lens cap (also due to said optics).
but that Leica lens is fantastic. oh, and that 10x zoom is all optical.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Sounds like you have made up your mind for the Canon but here is another vote for the Canon!

Great camera.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.2Ghz, 4GB RAM, 160GB HD
i say cannon. they have a great photographic history.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.