Another PC user possibly switching to Mac... I have some questions though...

Reaction score
Waaahhhh

The geek squad for once did something right, yet oh so wrong. They can fix my PC (by replacing the hard drive for the fourth, count it fourth time in the 6 yrs I've had the computer), they say they probably can't get the files off unless they charge $200 to send it away - I have a possible guy who might be able to do it, and for free.
While that's all fine and dandy, I was hoping it was done so I could get the Macbook. Looks like I'll have to wait until it breaks for good, but you will all be pleased to hear that I am more than likely going to go with a Mac for my next computer. I can't wait to get it!
Just a note, I only took it to the geek squad because my computer is still under the warranty through Best Buy so they could fix it for free. But anyway thank you to everyone on here for convincing me further to go to the Mac side when it is time for me to get a new computer!
A

Wow, 6 years old and its still under warranty? I'm suprised they sold extended warranties that long.

As for recovering your files on the "dead" hard drive, give SpinRite a try. Its great, simple software which runs from a floppy or CD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" MBP Core2 Duo, 2.33MHZ, 160GB HD, 2GB RAM, ATI X1600 256 MB
BUMMER- good luck with it though - at least you know what you're getting next! ;)

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
120 GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 2.16 GHz Core2Duo, white MB
I know this thread is old but...
I got a MacBook! Hooray!
I bought it back in August actually. I was planning on waiting until Christmas so I didn't have to buy it/free Leopard but I just couldn't wait that long. I was too excited :)

MB (white)
2.16 GHz
1GB RAM
120 HDD

And I run the Sims 2 on XP via bootcamp and it works perfectly. Thank you all for your help :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I know this thread is old but...
I got a MacBook! Hooray!
I bought it back in August actually. I was planning on waiting until Christmas so I didn't have to buy it/free Leopard but I just couldn't wait that long. I was too excited :)

MB (white)
2.16 GHz
1GB RAM
120 HDD

And I run the Sims 2 on XP via bootcamp and it works perfectly. Thank you all for your help :)

Congrats and enjoy!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.