Troubleshooting my superslow Comcast connection

Reaction score
Hello. I have been using Comcast for about 2 years and had ligthning fast download times. Now various speed tests tell me that I am clocking in around 56 Kbps download, about 44 Kbps upload. There have no changes in my setup to have cause this change.

My setup:
Mac Book Pro
DLink Modem
Airport Express Router

Are there trouble shooting things/apps I can do prior to calling in a Comcast tech? They will charge me $50 and they are totally clueless about Macs.

One strange thing I notice on Activity Monitor is that I am sending out a lot more data than I am receiving, and I'm not sure how this is happening. Is something fishy going on, and is this a possible reason for my slow download speeds?

thanks much.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hello. I have been using Comcast for about 2 years and had ligthning fast download times. Now various speed tests tell me that I am clocking in around 56 Kbps download, about 44 Kbps upload. There have no changes in my setup to have cause this change.

My setup:
Mac Book Pro
DLink Modem
Airport Express Router

Are there trouble shooting things/apps I can do prior to calling in a Comcast tech? They will charge me $50 and they are totally clueless about Macs.

One strange thing I notice on Activity Monitor is that I am sending out a lot more data than I am receiving, and I'm not sure how this is happening. Is something fishy going on, and is this a possible reason for my slow download speeds?

thanks much.

We had another user with similar symptoms. Changing from WPA to WPA2 security corrected the problem.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.