getting into photography.

Reaction score
well for my b day im gonna get a 30d kit. and eventually a 70-200mm f/4
i know its a good camera, all the ppl that have it love it. how does it work with mac? good? .. do you guys use iphoto to upload the pics or what.. u guys are usually pretty knowledgeable on here.
thanks
thomas

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Pretty much any digicam will work with a Mac. In the simplest case (and this is what I do) you can get a USB or Firewire card reader and simply pop the memory card from your camera into it and download the images that way. Once you have the images on the Mac, you can use any of the multitude of image manipulation tools that exist for the Mac to do whatever you wish to them.

See this thread for a good listing of available tools:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56582&highlight=seashore

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
Or if you don't use a card reader, just plug your camera into a USB port and download right from you camera. You can choose to have iPhoto erase your disk or not erase at the time of download. Actually, iPhoto works great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Retina 5K iMac 3.2Ghz Quad 24GB RAM, 1TB HD. iPhone 11.
The 30D works perfectly with a Mac because the software that comes with it is comes in both Mac and PC flavours. However, I personally wouldnt connect the camera directly to the Mac as downloading your photos this way just drains the camera battery and as memory card readers are stupidly cheap these days there really is no reason not to use them.

You can set iPhoto to automatically download your photos for you and iPhoto itself is not bad if you are just exploring digital editing, however, in time, you may find you want a more powerful program in which case take a look at Photoshop Elements, Gimp and, if you can afford it, Photoshop itself.

Reaction score
I use Image Capture, which is built in to OS X (just use Spotlight to find it). It allows me to place my photos in a simple folder structure of my own creation. It isn't part of any other program ... it's a stand alone application that does nothing but grab your photos off your media card (through a reader or directly from the camera) and then erase them if you want it to.

OP
W
Reaction score
i have photoshop already. know how to use it in some ways too. :D . also, is there a way i can set iphoto to save the pics right to my external hard drive?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.