Possible to use built in isight AND an external one?

Reaction score
I just tried a demo version of iStop Motion - the stop motion movie making program, and was really excited, but hated lugging my 20" iMac downstairs into the kitchen and setting it up just right to capture video with my built in isight, not to mention it's limited "aimability". Since I don't have any other kind of video recorder at all, could I just buy an isight camera, plug it in, and aim it wherever I want? Or can't the built in one and an external one exist at the same time?

I did a quick search for this subject, and didn't seem to find anything of relevance, so forgive me if this is a repost. If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks

Reaction score
if u have a mac with the built in camera, thats the only one u will be able to use, u can plug in another camera, but it wont work mac doesnt support any drivers for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
if u have a mac with the built in camera, thats the only one u will be able to use, u can plug in another camera, but it wont work mac doesnt support any drivers for it.
Wrong.
You can use an external iSight on your iMac, but from my understanding it won't work unless you first disable the built-in one when it is plugged in.

OP
MESHUGGAH_7
Reaction score
Wrong.
You can use an external iSight on your iMac, but from my understanding it won't work unless you first disable the built-in one when it is plugged in.

cool. anyone know how to disable the built in isight without major complications to other functions, or is it just not worth it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.