Loud noise when Cd is in the drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Retina
Ok so I know its not going to be exactly quiet, but all I expected to hear was a fan or fast spinning sound. I had not put a CD in the drive before, but I just decided to make a copy of a class DVD in the library and when I put it in it made more of a fast rattle noise. Is this common? It was so annoying to the people around me that I decided to stop, and this may not be good consitering that I need the DVD. If this noise is common, then its all good, if its not please let me know so I can go use my applecare.

Thanks,
-Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
did the dvd happen to have a label on it? does it do it in other dvd-rom drives? sometimes dvds or cds arent perfectly balanced due to defects or labels and can cause noise.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Retina
Actually you may be right... THe dvd has a label and it even has 2 strips to set off sensors that gaurd the library (so you dont steal). I will try a dvd when I get home and see if its just because of that.

Thanks,
-Mike

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Retina
On a side note... the dvd does not make noise when in the schools dvd player (one of those built into the tv dvd players)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
On a side note... the dvd does not make noise when in the schools dvd player (one of those built into the tv dvd players)

I assume your talking about a set top dvd player one designed for playing DVD movies.

if so the dvd drives inside set top dvd players are much slower then ones found in computers and therefor may not be affected by the disc being unbalanced.

Reaction score
My old high school gave everyone iBooks to use for school stuff. You kept them the whole school year, took them home, and wherever you wanted, then turned them in for the summer.

I had the same problem with the CD drive on my school computer after the first few months. After it made that noise for a few months, the CD drive eventually stopped working! When I turned the computer in for the summer tech support just put a new drive in it. ;-)

SOOOO it may eventually stop working???
let's hope not.
good luck.

<3 JAMIE

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See Signature
Was it an older dvd? I remember some older cds used to make noise when they were at full speed on ly pc, back when those cds were made they went at 4x or something, but my cd drive went up to 52x... so they may make a noise if they are older dvds that arent designed to of run as fast as the macs dvd drive might go....

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro Retina
Well I didnt have enough time to mess around and see if it was the cd, but I decided I needed to rip the DVD so that I could watch the movie at home. I went to a corner spot in the library where no one is around to distrub and the problem magically fixed itself. The only difference is that the Mac is not plugged in now. I read somewhere else on the forums that plugging it in caused the chatter in other macs.

Actually while typing this I realized something too. When the computer is plugged in its going at max potential, so the drive could be spinning much faster than it is now... thats probably why it made the noise while plugged in... Anyway the problem is relativley fixed for now, just letting everyone know.

Thanks,
-Mike

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.