• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

worst day ever

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
Okay, its coming up to my coarsework final deadlines...
i produce a beautiful website and flash presentation and how i made it all on my mac... sound good?

It was until i was about to install OS X 10.4.9
my system freezes...
Screen goes blue with a swirley circle going around
2 hours later its still on this screen
I though okay... must have installed by now or its crashed

I hold the power button down until macbook switches off

Turn power back on... OS X mac starts to load sucess!
30 mins later still on the white apple screen

Okay i guess it needs a few restarts

Still no OS X

I look for my restore discs tearing my bedroom apart

All to no avail

I find a copy of OS X tiger, i put the disk in but was reluctant and i didnt know what key to hold down and then i wasnt able to get the disk out again

Gettin really angry i then started yelling at my mac as i had hours worth of coarsework on there

I was going to use my pc to write on here if anyone could save me but my bro took the wifi adapter to university

I then search my desk as a last resort success i found my macbook restore disks, i was overwhelmed with joy i even kissed them it was like being reunited with an old friend.

I place the disks in :D
held down the D key to find out my hardware was all okay :D
Then held C down to load OS X i thought it was loading the one that wouldnt start, i kept restarting until i was about to restart and the screen went blue, OS X installer. I was soo happy.

Everything installed okay, all my work is safe, my music library lives and all my internet bookmarks and keychain passwords are saved.

As disapointed i am in my mac breaking in the first place im so relieved to see it all back again. <3

Rant over :)

Reaction score
Boy. I guess all I can say at this point is: Buy External Harddrive and Backup, and never upgrade your system while doing life-important work.

OP
mikeyman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i need to get round to buying an external HDD
its funny actually, i was going to back everything up to dvd today

T

todd51

Yea it can happen so unexpectedly, it happened to me once with my old PC...my 2nd internal HD just died, and I used that one for all my school work and such, all of it GONE!

Luckily I was able to bring it to a computer place and they were able to salvage all of it. Now I back up most of my stuff on DVDs until I get enough money saved for a external drive.

Reaction score
Har. I'm actually waiting for Leopard to use Time Machine to back stuff up. At this point, every other option seems like too much work for me. I'm so lazy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
well thats just plain lucky ! back up !

OP
mikeyman
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Har. I'm actually waiting for Leopard to use Time Machine to back stuff up. At this point, every other option seems like too much work for me. I'm so lazy.

me too, im really excited about the launch of leopard.
i reckon i wont be able to afford it at first though, 16 = tight budget
1= social life
2= parties
3= other stuff wasted

I reckon about a month after the launch i will have a copy :D
time machine <3
its so beautiful
but... what if you delete the file off the backup, i guess its gone forever :p
oh well you have to be pretty stupid to delete something twice that you really want.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x
thats good that you restored it, and nothing was lost!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Another thing to take with you from this experience is that if you choose to do a software update, it's important that you close any open applications. Make sure the machine is attached via the power adapter and leave the machine alone until it is complete. Minor patches are one thing, but 10.4.9 is really quite another.

An external backup device is absolutely essential. That was my first major peripheral purchase and I back up religiously, particularly when it's time to do a software update.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.