Erasing my powerbook

Reaction score
I am trying to erase the hard drive on my 1.5 Ghz PB G4. This is something I've done in the past for simple reformats and I have never had a problem. However, for some reason now, I can't access the [security options] button in disk utility. (it is greyed out). therefore, cannot even begin the erasing process... has anyone ever seen this? ...

OP
T
Reaction score
yes, unfortunately... i've tried a DVD and a CD version of the OS disk... might there be something screwy with my permissions. (although i tried repairing them already).?

OP
T
Reaction score
I think I've got it... When I started from the DVD , it brought up an error saying "this software cannot be installed on this computer", (i'm no sure how that's possible), but nevertheless i hadn't realized that you can access disk utility from that screen... now all seems right. Thanks.

Reaction score
Probably it said that because the OS X version on your disk — until it's erased — is a later version than on the DVD.

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, theclowning.

Could it be that you are trying to use an OS install from another Mac? Each OS install disk that came with a Mac is model specific meaning you cannot use, for instance, the Mac OS X Tiger install disk that came with an iMac to install Tiger on your PowerBook.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.