802.11 N

J

jamesx

has anyone tried this new 802.11n? i see apple and a few other companies are advertising there new routers, but i was just wondering if anyone has tried it and if it i any better... thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
Yes I have the apple airport extreme base station. Seems to work very good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Keep in mind that in order to gain the most benefit from 802.11n technology, you must have both a base station AND wireless adapters using the same technology.

Sure, 802.11a/b/g products will work with a 802.11n router, but you won't get the increased bandwidth or farther range that makes getting 802.11n so compelling.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
I was so disappointed when I found out that my sweet Macbook didn't possess this capability, darn me for buying pre C2D.

OP
J

jamesx

yes i have the the 802.11 n card in my macbook, but i was jsut wondering if the speed and range are that much better that the 802.11 a/b/g i am using now.

Reaction score
I just bought a new Macbook, which picks up a few networks in my house, but they are hit n miss. I was thinking of getting Airport.

Question is, my DSL is hooked into my Windows XP PC. With this airport thingie, can I plug the modem into airport, then have the Windows PC and the Macbook run off it?

That is the point of Airport, isnt it?

Sorry, I'm a Mac n00b

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
yes i have the the 802.11 n card in my macbook, but i was jsut wondering if the speed and range are that much better that the 802.11 a/b/g i am using now.

According to various reviews, it looks as though the new 802.11n router from Apple definitely sports speed and range improvements over the last version. You're looking at around 100-200MB/s realistic transfers, which is a huge improvement over the 20-25MB/s realistic transfer you get with 802.11g. Also, the range is much improved as you can retain a good connection at farther distances.

Question is, my DSL is hooked into my Windows XP PC. With this airport thingie, can I plug the modem into airport, then have the Windows PC and the Macbook run off it?

That is the point of Airport, isnt it?

Sorry, I'm a Mac n00b

LOL, yes, that is the point of Airport and every other wireless router. It simply takes your DSL connection and splits it among various computers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.4GHz (AL) iMac+
For some reason, my D-Link DI-624 decided to support either only my iMac's or XP Pro/PS3...couldn't figure out how to CONFIGURE it, tried different settings...no luck.

Upgraded to this and wasn't surprised how EASY it was and I was done under 5 minutes...sure I probably spent $80 CAN more for this but I'm very happy and the USB 2.0 HDD and/or Printer is a nice touch!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.