3 GBs of Memory?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2 GHz 2 GB RAM 120 GB HD.
Hello everyone. I got my Black C2D MacBook around Christmas time. I have been LOVING it ever since. It is quite the upgrade from my old iBook G4.

At any rate who. I won't lie. Sometimes when I'm doing work it does tend to slow down. (I bought it to do design work with primarily, however it gets used for everything.) It tends to beachball alot when I'm going alot of tasks at once. Most commonly, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, CSSEdit, iTunes, along with maybe Preview open, Safari, and Firefox; all at once.

Now, I have 1 GB in it right now. I was wondering if another GB would help this issue at all? I can get 2 GBs for about $170.00.

Lastly, I read that mix/matching the MacBook would get up to 3 GBs of recognized memory. Now, Apple doesn't say this because they don't support mix/matching. However, will I see even more of an improvement with 3 GB over 2??

Thanks for any help. And hopefully I can kick these thoughts of maybe I should upgrade to the Pro! I like my BlackBook. :headphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
The most RAM a MacBook can hold is 2GB. A MacBook Pro can hold 3GB.

Going from 1GB to 2GB is a huge improvement, and if you can afford it, I'd highly recommend it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, hmm, haven't heard of that until now. I guess you could do that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0GHz C2D 1GBRAM 120GBHDD Red Apple Logo. :)
While this is a cool option... I would much rather use the 2gb configuration to boost the performance of the already crippled video processor...

Now, if you could run @ 4GB of RAM that would be something for me to consider... But somehow I see that as highly unlikely seeing as it isn't even supposed to support 3GB of ram. XD

Reaction score
I think the basic question here boils down to whether or not you need to have installed RAM Matched .... The MacBooks maxed out RAM upgrade to 2Gb RAM (1GB per slot = matched RAM) is recommended to fully utilise the dual core technology .... so Apple are just informing their customers that installing RAM in 'Matched Pairs' is important to get the full benefit of the Core Duo /Core 2 Duo technology which after all is what you have paid for in the first place.

OP
Wobbly_Cheese
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook C2D 2 GHz 2 GB RAM 120 GB HD.
Hmm, but I guess my real question would be. Would you get better performance from a 2 GB and 1 GB (3GB total/mixed) sticks or 2, 1 GB sticks (2 GB total/matched)?

I'm ready to buy the 2, 1 GBs matched but this is seriously making me think.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, since the Video card uses the RAM, I think you'd be better off with 2 1GB sticks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
The whole dual channel thing is a rather tricky concept. In benchmarks, it has shown itself to be quite the performance boost. However, in real life tests, the difference is negligible. Therefore, any performance "drop" you may experience while using 3GB of RAM is only theoretical rather than practical.

I'm still on 1GB of RAM working on getting 2GB. 3GB is just a pipe dream at the moment :(

Reaction score
Who is going to be the first to try 4gb in their macbook? Come on, you know you want too. Any takers? :cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.33GHz, 3GB RAM, 250GB HDD, OS X Leopard
Wow nice.

Guys is it possible to upgrade ur storage harddrive anytime in the future? Like supposing I buy a 80 GB Macbook now. Will they be able to change it to, lets say, 160 in the future?

Reaction score
Wow nice.

Guys is it possible to upgrade ur storage harddrive anytime in the future? Like supposing I buy a 80 GB Macbook now. Will they be able to change it to, lets say, 160 in the future?

Absolutely!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.