Software or hardware probleme?

Reaction score
Hello i have the white macbook 2Ghz CPU, 1G RAM, 80G hard disk.
My problem is that sometimes my mac does not responde to anything and a message appears on my screentelling me that i have to reboot. But i cant reboot, so i have to shut it down by holding for mome secs the power button.
Then, when i try to turn it on, it either boots normaly or it boots with dead screan.
Can anyone understand what its going on with my mac?
Is it a softaware or a hardware problem?
Thanks.

Sorry for any language errors but english is not my native language!.

Reaction score
I'm having the exact same problems with my macbook (2 ghz c2d, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) :eek:neye:

It doesn't seem to be related to my ram memory since I'm experiencing the same with the original 2x256 mb ram sticks as with my newer 2x1 gb ram sticks.

Anyone have any experience / ideas on what this might be?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
Those are called "kernel panics", and while my own Macbook has experienced about four of them, I don't know why specifically they're happening to me. They don't happen very often to my Macbook, but they are always indicative of something hardware related.

I have Applecare, which came with a diagnostic CD which I have yet to use (they really don't happen often enough for me to be overly concerned yet, and I use the heck out of my Mac) and if you have Applecare, you'll have a diagnostic CD as well which you can use to test RAM, etc. If not, you're probably within the 1 year warrantee and should probably take your Macbook to an Apple store if one is nearby to have it checked out if your having frequent panics.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4
Reaction score
Tried the tips above and the hardware test/diagnostics reported no errors.

But the strange thing is that I've been using my macbook without any problems at all for a couple of weeks now, but today it all started again. :mad:

Grey info-screen that tells me to restart the computer (kernel panic?)

In the beginning the macbook wouldn't boot at all, but only light the small light next to the IR reciever.

After a while the DVD-drive started to make noises like trying to read from a cd/dvd even though there was none loaded while booting and then stopped.

The last thing that happened was this magnificent message on the screen while booting:
panic (cpu caller 0x003AA827): unable to find driver for this platform: "ACPI"

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4
Holy poop! You got problems. Here is a little reading:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=25392

do you have the latest firmware and software updates? Firmware version should be 1.4f12 Software should be 10.4.9 To check these if you don't know how, blue apple>about this mac>more info

At this point I would say to do these steps:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303319

If those don't work, I would say erase and install. If erase and install still doesn't solve the problem then I would say you have bad hardware. But what, I couldn't say. Keep track of what you have done, in case you need to call apple and have your mac repaired. Apple will have you do all the steps I have brought up, so it will hopefully save you some phone time and get your mac fixed quicker.

Reaction score
problem with my mac

My mac (SO X 10.4.6) shuts down every time it goes sleeping. When i press the power button it opens but immidiately shuts down (within 1 second). When I press the power button for 3 seconds or more it boots normally. However if i shut it down later it refuses to boot unless i press the power button for 3 seconds or more. It goes beeeep then boots.
Is this a problem similar to the one described in this thread ?. Is it a problem of hardware? I would appreciate your help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My mac (SO X 10.4.6) shuts down every time it goes sleeping. When i press the power button it opens but immidiately shuts down (within 1 second). When I press the power button for 3 seconds or more it boots normally. However if i shut it down later it refuses to boot unless i press the power button for 3 seconds or more. It goes beeeep then boots.
Is this a problem similar to the one described in this thread ?. Is it a problem of hardware? I would appreciate your help

That should be software. If you can get your computer to boot up, install the 10.4.9 software update. That should fix the problem.

do this before start up:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=2238

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.