Upgrading mac

Reaction score
I am upgrading from my G4 soon to either a mac mini (with 20" monitor for work laptop) or 20" imac depending on what upgrades come through in the next couple of months.
What I am wondering is if there is any way to transfer everything from my ibook to the new computer such as iphoto library, itunes, address book, all received mail, particular folders etc. How do you connect the 2 wireless or cable?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Let Apple tell you how:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/setup

On the choice of machine, I would go with the iMac, if only because it has a dedicated graphics card vs. the shared memory approach used by the Mini. It will be a better performer... and hey, it looks better too!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
1st of all, get the iMac instead of the mini, if you have a choice.

You can use a firewire cable to quickly xfer everyting you want. Use the migration assistant, it'll walk you through the steps. I don't remember them.

But I suggest this instead: Transfer things manually. There's no use in xfering lots of preferences for programs that don't exist. Or copying programs you haven't used in ages. You're starting off with a nice new clean system - no need to muddy it up (and slow it down) in the first day! Run it, see what things you are missing as you use it, and copy them (or download/install the latest version) as you go.
My two cents, free for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
1st of all, get the iMac instead of the mini, if you have a choice.

Ahem. There's the small matter of the price difference LOL!

As has been said, use a Firewire cable to connect the two and OS X will walk you through when you turn your new Mac on.

It's easier than doing it manually and a few extra prefs files here and there will not slow your machine down at all.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.