Hardware Problem - Kernel Question

Reaction score
Allow me to explain my problem :

My powerbook (G4 , 1.5 GHz, Mac OS X 10.4.8) started to fall asleep at random moments. At first just once or twice a week, but after a while, it started to occur every day.

Sometimes it would take 8-10 hours, sometimes he fell asleep 5 times in less than a minute.

I checked my system logs, and I found out that he fell asleep due to an overtemp error, and therefor he went to sleep to avoid hardware damage..

Now, I installed temperature monitor to see which sensor was causing the overtemp error, because the problem sometimes occured when I just booted him, and he was icecold.

From the moment I startup my powerbook the trackpad temperature is about 250°Celcius , of course this is impossible, so => I feared a Hardware problem.

I did the apple hardware test, and when he was examining the motherbord , I got the errorcode :

2STH/1/3 : TRACKPAD

This was one of those moments you just hoped you were wrong..

So I have knowledge of my problem now => the solution.

I check with my apple reseller IT-Pro (Ghent Belgium) and since I already own my powerbook for about 1 year and 9 months, warranty was not an option.

All the expences would be mine, and in this same weekend the motherbord of my desktop burned down (condensator near RAM that failed) I don't quite have the spare cash to get my powerbook fixed.

So right now I'm running Edgy Eft on my powerbook (Ubuntu) , but as you might know, flash and many other functions that work under x86 linux do not work on a PowerPC, and I got addicted to mac in the past two years.. So I want Mac OS X back..

Now I'm an informatics student at the Ghent University, Belgium, so I know a few things about computers, but to fix this problem , if I'm not mistaken , I need to download the Mach and or Xun kernel, find the code where he reads the trackpad temp, or find the code where he puts mac os x and the powerbook to sleep on an overtemp, change this, compile my kernel, reboot in open firmware, select my own compiled kernel, and boot with this one...

This however, is something I've never done with Mac os X, So I was hoping a genuine mac/unix freak could help me out with this one, and post here which kernel I should use/edit, and how to compile it (I assume it's C/C++ , I'm a programmer so I do know the basics on most languages) , and how to select this one to boot from..

Thanks in anticipation..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Welcome to Mac Forums chasnam!

Mac OS X's kernel is proprietary. You will not be able to find an open source version you can tinker with. Yes, it is based on Mach, but it only *based* on Mach - it is not unmodified Mach.

I think you will need a hardware fix long term. In the meantime, if Edgy lets you get away with it (thus it is likely just a bad sensor, since things seem to be working OK) you may be stuck with just that until you can get the hardware repaired. Hey, Ubuntu isn't THAT bad!! :dive:

OP
C
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply, but I'd like to get a second opion.. If a hardware fix by apple is the only option.. Well then I won't get any further.. Would anybody happen to know whether panther checks the trackpad sensor.. ? Or any other idea's.. I really don't have the cash atm to get this baby fixed, but boy do I miss Mac OS X...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Other Mac-Forum readers? The man wants another opinion!! :dive:

OP
C
Reaction score
I've found a Fix for my problem..

Hope it might help out some of you guys as well if you would ever happen to have the same problem..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is EXCELLENT chasnam!! Thanks for posting that. I hope that it may help many others. I have bookmarked the fix note so that I can provide to any others that encounter the same problem. I am so glad to hear that you can get back to Mac OS X (Edgy is nice though, isn't it?) :dive:

OP
C
Reaction score
I cheered to soon.. after updating OS X to 10.4.9 I had to remove them again of course, and my powerbook worked fine for over 10 hours.. And then.. Same problem.. I'm still working on the correct fix for all the extensions you need to remove..

If you completely remove the PMU , it should work, however you'll no longer have a sleep mode if you do this.. I'll let you guys know how it turned out..

And for some reason the link no longer works as well, the page has changed.. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmmm... not so good. Keep us posted. I have heard of this problem before now that you bring it up and would be interested to hear the fix. As it is, you are the first person I have ever heard of tinkering in the guts of the OS to resolve problems. I am proud of you!

OP
C
Reaction score
Well, my powerbook has been running for two months now, so I believe this fix really did the trick, I've put it on my latest site, I hope it may help others..

The fix on iChasnam

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.