mail.app help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo, 2GB RAM, x1600 256MB, Mac Mini 1.42 GHz G4
i attempted to set up mail.app to access my gmail through pop, but couldnt seem to configure it properly. i ended up recieving a copy of an email sent to my @mac account in my gmail inbox. almost like it was forwarding mail sent to my @mac to my gmail. i deleated the gmail inbox from mail.app to run the two addresses independantly, but it has had no effect.

any emails sent to my @mac.com account also turn up in my gmail inbox.

please help....very confused
rhys

Reaction score
G'day rhysbartels & welcome to Mac-Forums ... it's great to have another aussie onboard. Hope you stick around.

I take it you only have the .mac.com account in Mail.app? I'm not sure what account the @mac is ... at first I thought it was your .mac email address until you mentioned the @mac.com, so that's a little bit confusing for me ...

The emails to your .mac address should still be on the mac server (you could log into the webmail and check) so if you go ahead and delete that account from Mail.app then hopefully that would sort this out.

It seems you have configured things locally to forward you emails to your gmail account instead of the other way around.

If I knew what the difference between your @mac account and your @mac.com account then I would be happier in advising you.

Any .mac mail account you delete locally (on your mac) you can just create it again and then Mail.app should sync with the Apple server and download all your emails again .... But first you need to go to .mac website, log in to your email acct and just check that the originals are still there or deleting your Mail.app accounts will result in the loss of all your email.

OP
rhysbartels
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for the speedy reply martin.... and yes it is good to discuss things with another aussie! sorry about the confusion. i will summarise my issue again (hopefully more successfully this time)

i recently bought a .mac subscription, with it i got a new email address, i shall refer to it as [email protected].
i currently have a gmail, which i will refer to as [email protected]

i now want to start using the mail.app as my email client to handle both [email protected] and [email protected]. i tried to follow some instructions that would set up my [email protected] to send a copy to gmail, for utilisation of the free gmail space for backup purposes, but got lost and decided for now i would just run mail.app for [email protected]. i deleated [email protected] from mail.app, and removed the rules i had attached.

now any mail sent to [email protected], turns up in both my [email protected], and [email protected], even though in the mail.app program there are no rules to define this.

i will have a look at [email protected] webmail to see if i can find a setting or rule that is causing me grief

cheers
rhys

OP
rhysbartels
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok just found it lol.....
i just realised that mail.app is still just a client for [email protected], whereas the webmail is the nuts and bolts of the account. this is where you set up the actual account, not just the incoming/outgoing data in mail.app

cheers for the heads up martin
rhys

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.