arrangement tab missing. dual monitor help.

D

dvcamgal

Hello,

I've been searching through OSX help, apple support help, and the Mac Forums site, and I'm still very confused. I'm hoping that someone has the answer to my question, please.

I have a dual 500 Mhz G4 Tower. I'm using it primarily for editing (FCP) and DVD burning (DVD Studio Pro.) I have an Apple Studio Display that works just fine, and I just recently bought a fantastic Sony 17" display.

I'd like to do be able to spread out my desktop onto both monitors, but I can't "undo" my computer's desire to mirror everything on both displays. From what I understand, there should be an "Arrangment" tab within System Prefs-->Displays. But, my System Prefs have no such option.

I've called two Mac places and both of them tell me that I don't need a video card, and that I can do it within System Prefs. I've called a few editor friends and they all tell me that I need a video card.

Has anyone else been through this before? Can I do it without a video card? (and if so, how?) And if I need a video card to make this dual monitor setup work, what would you recommend?

Thanks so very much!!!

:)
Deana

OP
T

TylerMoney

What version of os x are you running?

Cause I'm running 10.3.3 and I have the arrangments tab...I also had it when running 10.3.2

that's all I know to tell you...run permissons..like everyone says all the time...or wait for someone else to give you more advice.....good luck

OP
D

dvcamgal

TylerMoney said:
What version of os x are you running?

Cause I'm running 10.3.3 and I have the arrangments tab...I also had it when running 10.3.2

that's all I know to tell you...run permissons..like everyone says all the time...or wait for someone else to give you more advice.....good luck

I'm running OSX 10.2.8...I hadn't thought about the OSX version...wow, that may be it...I'll check into an upgrade, right away. (thanks!)

OP
D

dvcamgal

dvcamgal said:
I'm running OSX 10.2.8...I hadn't thought about the OSX version...wow, that may be it...I'll check into an upgrade, right away. (thanks!)

Okay, for anyone who's curious...I installed an upgrade to Panther (OS 10.3)...still no "arrangement" tab. I then installed an upgrade to 10.3.3 and still no arrangement tab.

I guess I need a video card (!?) any advice? suggestions?

OP
T

TylerMoney

Well, what video card do you have? That's seems to be the problem. It should be there...and you're not missing it...cause it's in plain site under display...so yeah...check out your video card.

OP
D

dvcamgal

TylerMoney said:
Well, what video card do you have? That's seems to be the problem. It should be there...and you're not missing it...cause it's in plain site under display...so yeah...check out your video card.

I had a standard ATI video card, but I ended up having to purchase a RADEON 7000 video card, and now, my second monitor works just fine. Evidently, for the older generation G4's (such as my dual 500), you need a second video card if you want to use the extended desktop option. I purchased mine at Creative Computers (Mac Mall) for $119, and installed it myself. No problems at all.

Thanks for the advice.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.