New Imac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 20", 2.16GHz,2Gb Ram, 256MB Graphic card. 80Gig Ipod
Hello this is what I purchased Imac 20-Inch 2.16GHZ / 2 Gb SDRAM / 250 GB / ATI X1600 256MB / with final cut express. Should get here next thursday. few questions
1. Once out of the box what next. I know is going to be alot of fun. Do I need anything in order to set up the computer.?? (i keep hearing partition ? not much around virus protection!!)
2. Do i need any software for virus protection
3. Any other set up for system and configuration.

My Mac/SE is a very good computer, plug in add software and have fun.
thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
I think we have all asked the same questions. We have a FAQ section for us switchers.
I had almost the same questions as yourself when thinking Virus. I found it difficult to get my head around the fact that you can surf and read mail without anti virus.

Well I*ve been doing it since day 1 with my iMac (OCT 06) without problems.Everyone I've asked tells me that I won't need it. However with Mac becomming more popular there may come a day I will invest. It's just that the programs available at the moment tend to slow your iMac down some . The guy at the Apple store here likened it to infecting your own Machine.

You should have no problems . As for other tips Browse this forum. It's one way to pick up tips.

Good luck and Congrats with the new iMac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
Welcome aj34! You'll have plenty right of the box to keep you busy for a bit. Lots of adds could come later to fit your needs as you already know. Glad to have you on the forums. Have fun with your new machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
aj84, to answer your questions more or less in order:

1/ No need to do any partitioning. Your Mac is just fine as it arrives. I have never done any thing like to my Mac.

2/ No antivirus is needed unless you are really cautious and want to prove to yourself that no virus protection is needed.

3/ Generally, I would recommend that you pick up OnyX, a free system maintenance app and run all of its cache and log clean up routines about once a week. This will keep your Mac running like a charm.

For other apps of interest, see the Critical Apps section of my Linux to Mac Switchers Guide. Even though it is in a Linux oriented guide, the Critical Apps section applies to everyone. You can find my guide at: http://www.campbell-tx.net/MacOSX/Linux2Mac/linux2mac.html

Enjoy your Mac!!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.