Hard drive not showing full size

Reaction score
I recently got my hands on an old PowerPC G4, very impressed so far. I added a 300 gig internal HD and OS X picked it up immediately, but it only shows 127 gig available. I've formatted the disk as Apple Extended (journaled) with Disk Utility but it's still only showing 127gig available.

Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I recently got my hands on an old PowerPC G4, very impressed so far. I added a 300 gig internal HD and OS X picked it up immediately, but it only shows 127 gig available. I've formatted the disk as Apple Extended (journaled) with Disk Utility but it's still only showing 127gig available.

Any suggestions?
The hard drive is too big. Older Power Mac G4's can only recognize 128 GB partitions. You will have to first partition the drive, then install OS X on it.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86178

GWR

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac C2D - PB G4 - iBook G4 - iMac G3 DV SE
You can also use this.
I used it very successfully on an iMac G3.
You can use Disk Image to make it work as a single large partition as well.

OP
C
Reaction score
thought it might be something like that. I'll give that software a shot, thanks for the help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
D3v1l80y, from reading the link you provided, it SOUNDS like simply installing OS X versions later than 10.2 would allow use of the full hard drive. Is that the case? You suggest partitioning the drive and then installing OS X onto it, as if it MUST be partitioned. If CleverOne simply got OS X 10.4, booted from the install disk and simply reformatted the drive as one 300 GB partition, will this work once the 10.4 is then installed on that drive?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.