Does a mini run Flight Simulator X, multitask well?

Reaction score
How well does the mac mini do at multitasking and would it run Flight Simulator X in Boot Camp well? I know the CPU's in the mini are more limited than other Mac's and as well the graphics card isn't as good as the card in most imac's.
My needs are fairly basic, using word for word processing, dreamweaver for web design, web browsing in Safari, Parallels for Windows XP, and Illustrator and Photoshop for graphic design.
It isn't uncommon though for me to have 4 web pages open at a time while I have parallels running Quickbooks at the same time, Photoshop editing a picture, and dreamweaver open. I would definitely max out ram at at least 2 gigs.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
How well does the mac mini do at multitasking and would it run Flight Simulator X in Boot Camp well? I know the CPU's in the mini are more limited than other Mac's and as well the graphics card isn't as good as the card in most imac's.
My needs are fairly basic, using word for word processing, dreamweaver for web design, web browsing in Safari, Parallels for Windows XP, and Illustrator and Photoshop for graphic design.
It isn't uncommon though for me to have 4 web pages open at a time while I have parallels running Quickbooks at the same time, Photoshop editing a picture, and dreamweaver open. I would definitely max out ram at at least 2 gigs.

The Mac mini is obviously the lowest end model Mac. It will likely run all of those applications together, but the speed at which you do so can be expected to be slower than a more powerful machine like the current model iMac.

As far as running Flight Simulator X, the Mac mini has integrated graphics which would not meet the minimum requirements for Flight Simulator X.

Reaction score
FS X is probably the biggest CPU and GPU hog on the market, brand new $12,000 dual SLi machines can't even run it maxed out with framerates over 9

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
The CPU isn't bad, but the slow graphics card will kill it... I doubt FS X will even start...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5.1 | iMac 7.1 | iMac 12.1 | iMac 19.1 | iPhone 11 Pro | Watch s5
My biggest gripe about my macmini at work is the hard drive. It's a laptop hard drive. So it's slow. Using MenuMeters, I can see what is going on whenever the system hangs up. It's always the hard drive doing... god knows what... very slowly.
With 1GB ram, it does quite well. It's pretty rare that I fiil it, even when running photoshop and firefox. The CPU rarely gets pinned, unless firefox is hickping on something, or I'm actually doing something on the system to warrant the usage.
But it's the HD that sucks.

So if you'll be using a HD intensive program (like photoshop, streaming-world games, etc) I'd stay away from a mini.

My first post here, btw.

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
How well does the mac mini do at multitasking and would it run Flight Simulator X in Boot Camp well?

It does wonderfully at multitasking but it won't run FS X, in fact neither will the MacBook.

My 4800x2 AMD monster with 512M 1950 GTX Gfx card and Vista Premium will only just run it at a reasonable framerate!

Amen-Moses

Reaction score
The home of the free and the land that did for Bra
Your Mac's Specs
24"iMac, 15"MB-Pro, MacBook, G4 iMac, PM G5 2x2Ghz, G4 iBook & Some PCs
My biggest gripe about my macmini at work is the hard drive. It's a laptop hard drive. So it's slow. Using MenuMeters, I can see what is going on whenever the system hangs up. It's always the hard drive doing... god knows what... very slowly.
With 1GB ram, it does quite well. It's pretty rare that I fiil it, even when running photoshop and firefox. The CPU rarely gets pinned, unless firefox is hickping on something, or I'm actually doing something on the system to warrant the usage.
But it's the HD that sucks.

So if you'll be using a HD intensive program (like photoshop, streaming-world games, etc) I'd stay away from a mini.

My first post here, btw.

If you are brave enough you can stick a 5200 speed 160Gb hard drive in there, the difference is astonishing.

Amen-Moses

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.