256mb Video Ram = Dual Monitors ?

Reaction score
Hi, I have decided to buy Macbook Pro 15 and like many people who bought this laptop, I am trying to decided whether to get the 2.16 and upgrade the RAM or pay the extra cash for the 2.33.

I work as a video editor by profession, so I have to use 2 monitors when I work (Final Cut, After Effects, Photoshop). I was all set to get the 2.13 model, when someone told me yesterday that 128 Video RAM might be choppy when using dual monitors. Does anyone know this to be true?

I have searched forums, talked to MAC store people, but I have not gotten clear answer on what advantages a 256MB Video card has over a 128MB Video card, except for 3D video games.

Could someone clear this up for me.

Thanks much!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
so I have to use 2 monitors when I work (Final Cut, After Effects, Photoshop). I was all set to get the 2.13 model, when someone told me yesterday that 128 Video RAM might be choppy when using dual monitors. Does anyone know this to be true?
False.
I use the same apps with a dual monitor setup on a PowerBook with 128MB RAM. I haven't noticed any lag whatsoever.
It all comes down to this:
2D apps like the ones you mentioned don't need the extra VRAM.
3D apps like games or 3D modeling apps will need and benefit from the extra VRAM.

Reaction score
I have the 128mb graphics card, and for the most part it is absolutely fine. Some times, like opening dashboard I see a tiny lag. Overall you will not notice it.
I would allways recomend getting the best computer you think you can afford. You will be happier, and won't have to replace it for longer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.