• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Copy a family video

Reaction score
I'm new to the Imac scene! I want to make a copy of a family video (which is on disk now). I've kinda played around with iDVD but I just cant figure out how to make a copy. I have the IMac 20 in with 10.4.8 operating system. Any help would be greatly appreciated1

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
What do you mean by making a copy? Do you want to copy it from the Disk to the HDD? If so it is a matter of inserting the disk in the dvd slot and once it appears on the Desktop, double click and "Drag&Drop" it anywhere you like. If you want to create your own DVD, you can use the iMovie.

OP
D
Reaction score
How to make a copy of a family DVD

What I trying to do is make a duplicate of a family DVD. Thanks.

Reaction score
G'day dennis495,

I take it the disc wasn't created on your current mac? I also presume it plays perfectly fine at the moment.

Is the movie a proper dvd with titles etc? Does it launch automatically in DVD Player when you place the disc in the drive? Or do you have to open the disc in Finder and double-click on the movie to play it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
You could use MacTheRipper to copy it to your mac and then you can burn it using any mac burning program.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4
You could use Toast. It has the ability to copy dvd to dvd. But it's not a free program. But it could be depending on your ethics and where you look. Not that I condone that.

OP
D
Reaction score
Making a duolicate family video (dvd)

The DVD was made a friend at the Birthday Party. He sent it to me years later. It was made on a PC, not a Mac. All I want to do is make a copy. It plays fine on my Mac. This is not a store bought DVD. Shouldn't I be able to make a copy without downloading additional software? Maybe using iDVD or Disk Utility? This is kinda new to me. I appreciate everyones patience.

Thanks

Reaction score
The DVD was made a friend at the Birthday Party. He sent it to me years later. It was made on a PC, not a Mac. All I want to do is make a copy. It plays fine on my Mac. This is not a store bought DVD. Shouldn't I be able to make a copy without downloading additional software? Maybe using iDVD or Disk Utility? This is kinda new to me. I appreciate everyones patience.

Thanks

G'day dennis495,

OK, try the following and let me know if your successful.

Making a DVD Image:

Step 1. Insert the DVD into your drive.

Step 2. Launch Disk Utility (Applications>Utilities).

Step 3. In Disk Utility, you will notice a white pane on the left hand side. In the pane, select the Family video DVD by clicking on it once.

Step 4. Click New Image on the Disk Utility toolbar.

Step 5. A dialog box will appear. Give the new image a name. Used 'Family Video DVD' or similiar. Select the destination where you wish to save it. Leave Image Format at Compressed (default) and Encryption at None (default).

Step 6. Click Save to begin creating the image.

Step 7. Once your image has been created DO NOT mount it. Leave the image alone and proceed to the next section.

Burning the Image

Step 1. Launch Disk Utility (Applications > Utilities).

Step 2. Click Burn on the Disk Utility toolbar (upper left).

Step 3. Navigate to where you saved the DVD image created in the previous section. Click on the image file, then click the Burn button. Do not drag and drop the image file into Disk Utility during this step.

Step5. Insert a DVD when prompted and proceed to Burn it. (use good quality media)

I hope this helps.

Reaction score
I don't know if this worked for Dennis495, but I had the exact same issue and it worked like a dream for me. Thanks, Pleth Aura!!!

OP
D
Reaction score
Saving Instructions

Is there a way to save these instructions to a clipboard or something like that?

G'day dennis495,

OK, try the following and let me know if your successful.

Making a DVD Image:

Step 1. Insert the DVD into your drive.

Step 2. Launch Disk Utility (Applications>Utilities).

Step 3. In Disk Utility, you will notice a white pane on the left hand side. In the pane, select the Family video DVD by clicking on it once.

Step 4. Click New Image on the Disk Utility toolbar.

Step 5. A dialog box will appear. Give the new image a name. Used 'Family Video DVD' or similiar. Select the destination where you wish to save it. Leave Image Format at Compressed (default) and Encryption at None (default).

Step 6. Click Save to begin creating the image.

Step 7. Once your image has been created DO NOT mount it. Leave the image alone and proceed to the next section.

Burning the Image

Step 1. Launch Disk Utility (Applications > Utilities).

Step 2. Click Burn on the Disk Utility toolbar (upper left).

Step 3. Navigate to where you saved the DVD image created in the previous section. Click on the image file, then click the Burn button. Do not drag and drop the image file into Disk Utility during this step.

Step5. Insert a DVD when prompted and proceed to Burn it. (use good quality media)

I hope this helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Is there a way to save these instructions to a clipboard or something like that?

Copy the text straight from the browser. Start TextEdit and paste the text into that and save the file. Or bookmark this thread.

Reaction score
Thanks NanoBite, this is exactly what I have been looking for. I have keeping my my home movie iDvd and iMovie project files on my hard drive in case I needed to make another copy of one of my home movies. This is great. I can now just copy a master DVD. Thanks for the input I have been trying to figure this out for ever.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.