Why does this happen?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel C2D iMac 2.16Ghz, 2GB Ram.
Hello,

I've been using OS X for some time now, and I keep getting this annoying box pop up everytime I open Mozilla or Thunderbird before it actually loads the program itself for me to work on.

I have taken a screen shot of what happens just before the program itself loads. Is there anyway of stopping this happening in future? The Thunderbird icon on the far right hand side of the screen below where the icon called "Picture 1.jpg" only appears after selecting to load thunderbird from the dock on the bottom of the screen, and then the large box pictured above then appears, and then the program itself loads in full screen leaving what's seen above behind it in the background until I decide to minimise the screen.

Picture2.jpg

Michael.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G3 iMac 400Mhz, 512Mb RAM,10GB HDD
When that box comes up, drag that icon into your apps folder in finder... Delete whatever is in your dock by clicking and dragging it onto the desktop. Then drag the icon in your apps folder onto your dock. Try clicking on the icon on your dock, and it should all be fixed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Its because you haven't installed the program, you are running it from the disk image that you downloaded.

You need to drag the Thunderbird app from the folder that pops up in your destop to your applications folder, and then run it from your applications folder.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel C2D iMac 2.16Ghz, 2GB Ram.
Hello,

Thanks guys, it was starting to bug me a bit!!! ;-)

Michael.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G3 iMac 400Mhz, 512Mb RAM,10GB HDD
Glad to help! Enjoy your Mac!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
To elaborate a little more on what others have said, when you download most Mac software, it comes in a "DMG" file. DMG is a "disk image", which when double-clicked "mounts" as a virtual hard drive on your desktop. Many applications will run straight from that virtual drive without any type of installation process. But when you reboot, the virtual drive is no longer mounted and the application is not available until you run the DMG file again and mount it. To "properly" install the application, the window you're seeing is trying to tell you to drag and drop it onto your Applications folder (and for your convenience presents a handy shortcut so that you don't have to open up any additional windows). You literally just drag the program icon and drop it on the shortcut to your Applications directory in the same window.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.