Backlight goes off when ibook is open past 60 degrees. Advice?

S

sanfordphoto

I am new to this forum so, Hello!

I have a 12” g3 ibook snow with a dual usb and 500mhz processor.

Every time I open the book up past about 60 degrees the backlight on the screen clicks off and will not turn back on, unless I restart the machine.

I am wondering if this is a common problem what might I need to do to fix it? Does anyone have any advice?
Thanks for your time!

Sanford
:eek:

OP
T

TylerMoney

that's a new one for me. haven't heard anyone with quite the same problem. so I don't know...don't open your screen past 60 degrees?....heeh.

try reparing disk permissions...or look under your energy saver...or go to an apple retailer...or call apple....

someone else will probably come along and be of more help.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I would take it in and have it checked. You may have a lose wire or something.

OP
T

Tune280

Take it back to the shop it seems like a wire or somethnik missing im sure they will fix it.

OP
S

sanfordphoto

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. I'm really interested in trying to fix this myself. I brought this to an apple store and they gave me a rough guess at $300 to fix it. I think that price is crazy!

I noticed that the screen doesn't open all that smoothly and think it might be something simple. Any other thoughts!

Thanks again,
Sanford

OP
A

adam taylor

hmm, id go with the loose wire theory i think,

once it has switched off, do the brightness buttons do anything?

also where is the switch that turns the screen off when closed? does teh screen actually switch off when you close it? maybe the switch is in the hinge and has come unstuck?

other than that, im all out. good luck and let us know what happens. Adam

OP
S

sanfordphoto

Thanks Adam.

< Once it has switched off, do the brightness buttons do anything?>

No the buttons do not do anything.

Really, just the backlight turns off, as the screen is still slightly visible after the ibook is opened past 60 degrees. This problem never changes and remains constant.

I’m guessing it’s a simple cable issue (pinched or pulled) as the hinges are really very tight. When I open the ibook its not fluid, more like it needs a good hit of wd40.

Does anyone have a good vender they would recommend for the parts?

Thanks again,
sanford schulwolf

Sanfordphoto.com

OP
N

nr-media

Sounds like the wire powering the CCFL (they're like tiny bulbs in the LCD) is loose or there is a short in the wire. You probably won't need a new part. It may just be a simple loose connection at the harness or a short in the wire which a simple splice and solder will fix. Its a pretty easy repair for a laptop repair tech.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
don't take it to the apple store, just take it to any notebook/laptop techie you have near you and ask him to take a look...

Or if you're brave take that sucker apart yourself, my gf's pc notebook had a similar problem, so i took it apart (a bit) and then noticed the ribbon cable from the graphics card to the screen wasn't in all the way, pushed it in and fixed it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.