Beginner questions :(

Reaction score
Hey everyone!!!

Well Im new to Mac world!!! Just got my mac book pro today from Apple Store in Providence....

But I have a few (dumb) questions....

1.) How do I make it so when I close the lid my internet doenst shut off??? like if I am on instant messanger it signs me off...

2.) Also I tried installing Aim 4.7 but when it went to my desktop and I clicked on it- it said "movie failed" as if quicktime were trying to open it.... and I think QT is the default, but I dunno what to use to install it?

3.) Is there a way to make the keyboard act as an equalizer while music is playing??? I heard you can.... meaning the light will go with the music....

Thanks for answering my dumb questions :(

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
welcome Dan!

1) you can't. not unless you have a separate keyboard/mouse/monitor attached.

2) get rid of it. iChat uses aim. also most people tend to really like Adium, which is a multi-client chat app.

3) i'm not sure you mean equalizer, but i know what you're saying. i don't know of anything off hand.

there are no dumb questions, so feel free to search and see what you can find, and if you can't find the answer, just give a shout. also check the switcher f.a.q in the switcher forum. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
1. There is no built in option to turn this feature off. There was a third-party plugin that would allow you to do what you're asking, but apparently it doesn't work with the latest version of OS X (10.4.8+). So you're out of luck for the moment.

2. AIM 4.7 is a .bin file. Unfortunately, OS X doesn't come with a program built in that allows you to install from that file format. You need to download something called Stuffit Expander which will then allow you to extract the installation file from the file you downloaded.

3. Don't know anything about this. There could be a little app that allows for this, much like the sensor that allows for the "smackbook". Maybe somebody else can shed some light on this.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thank you so much guys!!!

Man purchasing a mac is the best investment I've ever had. Everyone is SO friendly

OP
D
Reaction score
Another question for you guys!!!!!!!

My college uses outlook express.... and that is my main email.

I purchased the Office suite yesturday and it came with Entourage.... But how do I save my outlook to my computer so that when I browse for an account its there??

Thanks guys/and gals!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Outlook Express is a mail program, it's not your actual email account.

Go to your College's website and find out how to setup your email account. They will usually tell you whether it is an IMAP or POP3 account, and then give you the server address. You then take these things and plug them into Entourage, along with your username and password.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.