Problem with the Sreen Saver in preferences

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.4Ghz C2D iMac, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD - iMac 17, 1.83 GHz C2D - Mac Mini - Airport Extreme Base
Hi,

Something strange is going on, when I load my System Preferences pane and click on the desktop/Screensaver option, the panel loads but if i click on the Screen Saver tab, select a screensaver, it's not highlighted till I click the time slider. There is no preview, everything freezes, sometimes the "start screen saver text" next to the slider or the slider itself disappears, all buttons are dead and I have to close it by clicking Quit System Preferences from the main menu. Even tough this behaves strangely, I still get whatever screen saver I selected.

I tried everything I could think of and read on this forum but to no avail (repaired permissions, tried with a new user account, deleted the preferencepanes.cache and the screensavers plist files, etc.).

Also, if I click on the Desktop section first and change the background, everything works well till I click on the Screen Saver tab, it freezes and doesn't go into that part of the pane.

Any ideas?
Gemigene
:radioacti

iMac17, OS-X 10.4.9

Reaction score
what screensaver are you using?...is it the iTunes album art one? that one has a known problem when you chose to have two rows. Or is it just any screensaver?

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" 2.4Ghz C2D iMac, 2GB RAM, 320GB HD - iMac 17, 1.83 GHz C2D - Mac Mini - Airport Extreme Base
what screensaver are you using?...is it the iTunes album art one? that one has a known problem when you chose to have two rows. Or is it just any screensaver?

I never used the iTunes art, I mostly use "Beach" or "Forest" and they do work even though the pane freezes up on me after selecting one. Strange, isn't it?

Even stranger yet is that when I open up the screen saver folders (user or system), there's nothing in them...

Gene
:(

M

MacHeadCase

I tried to search for a screensaver pref file but it doesn't seem to exist.

Could you create a new user account and use that one and see if the problem persists in that account as well?

Let us know what are the results of this, please. :girl:

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried to search for a screensaver pref file but it doesn't seem to exist.

Could you create a new user account and use that one and see if the problem persists in that account as well?

Let us know what are the results of this, please. :girl:

Tried the new user account and got the same problem, it sure looks like it's a system wide glitch. Wonder if I can just restore that part of preferences, don't feel like reinstalling the OS only to access a working screen saver panel.

Thanks,
Gene
BTW, love your Avatar, Lilly Tomlin on Laugh-In, the good ol' days...

M

MacHeadCase

Ooh! Gemigene! You are truly a buddy of mine!
icon12.gif

You normally use Pacifist to install just one part that you need. Can you install it over an existing part? I really don't know what you can do...

I wouldn't want to tell you to do something and mess up your system royally. At first thought, I imagined you could maybe drag the System Preferences in the trash and reinstall the System Preferences from your install disks. But maybe that is hazardous to your Mac's health...

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ooh! Gemigene! You are truly a buddy of mine!
icon12.gif

Also got a heck of a kick out of Arte Johnson....

You normally use Pacifist to install just one part that you need. Can you install it over an existing part? I really don't know what you can do...

I wouldn't want to tell you to do something and mess up your system royally. At first thought, I imagined you could maybe drag the System Preferences in the trash and reinstall the System Preferences from your install disks. But maybe that is hazardous to your Mac's health...

Thanks for the link, I'll sure have a look at it.

Merci et un gros Salut de Gatineau!
Gene

p.s. your avatar influenced me to the point of getting one too. LOL

M

MacHeadCase

Also got a heck of a kick out of Arte Johnson....

Thanks for the link, I'll sure have a look at it.

Merci et un gros Salut de Gatineau!
Gene

p.s. your avatar influenced me to the point of getting one too. LOL

Ben salut, toi!

Well with our avatars we can have a Laugh In party! Whee!

Ok well let us know how this went and if everything worked or not. Good luck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard

I have that problem how do I fix it?

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have that problem how do I fix it?

Wish I could help you, I haven't found a solution to my problem and decided I didn't want to re-install OS-X just for that.

Cheers,
Gene

M

MacHeadCase

Hey gemigene!

When this started happening, do you recall if you installed any new software or added a new peripheral to your setup? Or did you install a third-party screensaver perhaps?

Oh and Bonne Saint-Jean in case we don't get to see each other again till then! :)

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey gemigene!

When this started happening, do you recall if you installed any new software or added a new peripheral to your setup? Or did you install a third-party screensaver perhaps?

Oh and Bonne Saint-Jean in case we don't get to see each other again till then! :)

Well Hi! Long time no chat...

If I remember correctly, 2 things happened on the same day, I installed a screensaver which didn't really work well so I deleted it and also installed an update from Apple. Mind you, I think it was that screensaver that screwed things up (or deleting it, I was a Mac newbie at the time).

And Bonne Saint-Jean à toi aussi, amuses-toi bien!

Salut,
Gene

M

MacHeadCase

Hmm. Did you try clearing the system cache? If you've never heard of it, use MainMenu. And clean out the System cache (Deep Clean).

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm. Did you try clearing the system cache? If you've never heard of it, use MainMenu. And clean out the System cache (Deep Clean).

Hey, merci beaucoup.

Downloaded MainMenu and will give it a spin, looks like a better solution than MacJanitor.

Thanks again,
Gene
:)

M

MacHeadCase

You, of course, can try the other scripts in there to clean and fix your OS install. Just so you know, once you restart (after cleaning out the cache you have to restart) the startup will feel slower to you than usual: no worries, it's simply the system rebuilding its cache from scratch.

Pas de problème! J'espère qu'on aura réglé ton problème une fois pour toutes! À bientôt, je l'espère! (Non, pas pour d'autres problèmes, juste pour que tu viennes nous visiter et avoir du fun avec la gang!) :D

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You, of course, can try the other scripts in there to clean and fix your OS install. Just so you know, once you restart (after cleaning out the cache you have to restart) the startup will feel slower to you than usual: no worries, it's simply the system rebuilding its cache from scratch.

Pas de problème! J'espère qu'on aura réglé ton problème une fois pour toutes! À bientôt, je l'espère! (Non, pas pour d'autres problèmes, juste pour que tu viennes nous visiter et avoir du fun avec la gang!) :D

MacJanitor was working well for a while but after a couple of OS updates, would hang and give error messages, so I stopped using it.

Hé, merci pour l'invitation, j'ignorais qu'il y a une "gang" qui sont ici pour s'amuser...

Gene

M

MacHeadCase

Bof! Tu sais, on cherche toujours du monde le fun pour un forum. Les niaiseux on peut s'en passer! :D

There is another freebie that works well and is from our cousins in France: OnyX by Matthieu Barrière. It has a few more features but if you're not sure what you are doing, it's best to stick with MainMenu.

Besides I use MainMenu, the added features in OnyX, I rarely use them. But I have both installed on my iMac.

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Bof! Tu sais, on cherche toujours du monde le fun pour un forum. Les niaiseux on peut s'en passer! :D

"Crisse", moi qui voulait partir un Forum pour les niaiseux... ("Les Tatais de l'Outaouais") ;D

There is another freebie that works well and is from our cousins in France: OnyX by Matthieu Barrière. It has a few more features but if you're not sure what you are doing, it's best to stick with MainMenu.

Besides I use MainMenu, the added features in OnyX, I rarely use them. But I have both installed on my iMac.

If MainMenu works well for you, guess that's the one I'll stick to. (ah, la confiance...). LOL

Cheers,
Gene

M

MacHeadCase

AHAHAHAHAHAHA

Ben tu m'diras, on sait jamais: Internet rend les distances super proches faque je pourrais aussi être une Tataise the l'Outaouais! Hihi!

I think that third-party screensaver messed up your system's built-in screensaver function. It would be so easy to trash a pref file, if only there was one!

OP
gemigene
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
AHAHAHAHAHAHA

Ben tu m'diras, on sait jamais: Internet rend les distances super proches faque je pourrais aussi être une Tataise the l'Outaouais! Hihi!

:D Ben, pourquoi pas? En passant, j'ai jeté un coup d'oeil sur tes photos, bravo!

I think that third-party screensaver messed up your system's built-in screensaver function. It would be so easy to trash a pref file, if only there was one!

I'll run MainMenu in a while and see if it takes care of the problem and if not, the heck with it. Don't feel like reloading the OS only to correct something I can live with. As I mentioned, I can choose a screensaver but after I do, that part of the preferences panel freezes on me...

Hasta luego,
Gene

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.