Skype Never Remembers My Username - Any Fixes?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Another Skype related post. Since I started using Skype for Mac, it has consistently failed to remember my username between uses. I have always chalked that up to using the 2.0.0.5 beta - betas always have little problems.

Now I have upgraded to Skype 2.5, and it STILL fails to remember my username between uses.

Is anyone else having this problem? Are there any known fixes? I have googled this to no good end. Hopefully some Skype users here may have a solution, or can at least commiserate?

Reaction score
G'day mac57,

This is the ...duh question that has to be asked ....

In prefs>general ... you DO have "Remember my name and password on this computer" ticked?

I had to ask 'cos I just launched Skype and it immediately opened the window showing my username and my contacts ....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
I have both checked the one on the login pane and in Preferences. Hope you get it resolved soon

OP
mac57
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Thanks all, you gave me the confidence that it does generally work to keep experiementing, instead of just writing it off as a bug.

First of all, thanks Pulse-8 for the "duh" question. I have to admit I went and checked it again right away, just in case the upgrade to 2.5 had cleared it, but no, it is checked as it should be. Made me wonder if I had been that stupid though! :dive:

After some dickering around, here is what I have found. If you just quit Skype WITHOUT first selecting Account->Logout, it actually does remember my username and pasword. However, if I exit Skype by first doing the logout step and then quiting Skype, it does not remember... it doesn't even show up in the drop down list on the login screen. Very weird - still feels like a bug to me.

However, now I can have it remember me by just directly quiting without logging out first. Seems unnatural to me, but I will do it - saves a little typing time next time I log in AND it logs me in automatically when I start it as well - don't even have to push the login button.

So, thanks all! Problem solved (or at least worked around)!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.