adding local artwork to tracks in itunes without embedding

Reaction score
hi

i am new to itunes, having recently switched from a PC to a Mac, and am trying to add artwork to tracks in my itunes library. all of my artwork is stored in each album folder. the images are typically 300-400kb each (i want high quality artwork for fullscreen playback so have scanned my CD covers) and i have multiple artwork for some albums, so would rather avoid embedding artwork as this could increase the size of an album folder by several MBs. i am aware of the Album Artwork folder for non-embedded itunes artwork that is accessed using the 'get album artwork' feature in itunes 7, but this only seems to work for getting album artwork from the itunes store, which i don't want to do as i already have better quality artwork on my local hard drive. so does anyone know a way of getting images into the Album Artwork folder from a local drive in such a way that they will be recognised in itunes?

thanks

nick.

Reaction score
G'day nick harambee.

This is a tricky one to understand .... Normally I personally do this:

Highlight all tracks from an album and do a Get Info on the group. Confirm that I do want to effect change on the items, then just drag'n'drop the album art into the art square and the tracks are updated. Then I toss the art away or in your case file them away for emergencies.

So, do I have it right that the above method is the very one that you are trying to avoid???

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.