iTunes trouble

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm a switcher and not unfamiliar with iTunes. I've had an iPod for two years, been using iTunes that whole time. I've never seen anything like this.

When I go the mac yesterday iTunes worked just like on my PC. I could browse my shared music from the PC as usual. (Click the hsared library on the list on the left side. Then see list of files in the main window area to play.)

iTunes asked to update and I let it. Now I have a problem. The file list is gone. No matter what I click on (Music, Shared Library, a playlist, etc) I just get shown the iTunes store homepage.

And the iTunes store is also useless because while I can go to an album or movie there I never get a track list so I can't even preview music. What in heaven's name did I do wrong guys and how do I FIX it. The only way I can play music now is using the remote. For some reason FrontRow can browse music but the regular iTunes view can't. Help??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" macbook C2D; 24" Imac, 8GB Iphone
try updating itunes

OP
tandaina
Reaction score
iTunes is updated. That's how this started. It asked to update, I let it. Bam, problem.

OP
tandaina
Reaction score
Hmm, something not right. Now FrontRow won't come up and iTunes crashes if I try to do anything at all in it. That stupid iTunes store homepage that has taken over won't even scroll.

*sigh*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
What Mac do you have, and have you run all the system updates?

Also, have you tried repairing permissions?

OP
tandaina
Reaction score
Its a new MacBook. Just arrived yesterday. I have run the system updates and the iTunes update.

From what I've read permissions shouldn't be the issue here. iTunes should understand permissions and not be overwriting them. I'll check those again though. Its just utterly bizarre.

OP
tandaina
Reaction score
Nevermind, found the problem. I moved the iTunes application in the Applications folder into a subfolder (makes it neater) however, its more complicated an install than the other programs I did this with (none of THEM mind) and it breaks things. So iTunes gets left alone from now on. ;)

M

MacHeadCase

I was just going to ask if it started acting up after you messed with the Applications folder you talk about in another thread...

See? Leave that Applications folder alone! LOL

OP
tandaina
Reaction score
Doesn't seem to bother anything that is just a drop in install. But if it uses an actual installer app then it causes problems. Ah well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.