Whats your experience with Refurbished Macs?

Reaction score
My refurb mac is perfect, infact i could have believed it was new if it didnt say refurb on the box. My power supply and remote came brand new with all the protective plactic coverings (screen protector style stuff) which also makes me think i actually have some left over brand new core duo stock.

I agree. Mine looked brand new. It was even in the white box that the macbooks come in. The only way I new it was a refurb, was that there was a small round sticker on my white box that said refurbished. Aside from that there was no way to tell. I actually bought the 1.83 CD w/ 60 gig HD and 512 Ram. There was a 2.0 CD model with 80Gig and 1 Gig ram, but I took the 60 gig model, and to my surprise, they sent me the one with 80 gig, but looks like the swapped the memory with 512mb.

I upgraded the ram to 2gig, and the machine runs great.

I would definetely by a refurb again.

Reaction score
Just FYI.

I was also thinking about getting a refurb, but since Apple Store charges tax, I can get a brand new MB on Amazon for the same price!

Apple.com refurb Black Macbook - $1,299 + $103.92 (tax for me) = $1,402.99

Amazon.com New Black Macbook - $1,499 -$100 MIR + $0 tax = $1,399

Check Amazon first to see if you get a better deal :)

This also goes for any other model.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
companies are usually pretty good and not selling crappy products. Does anyone know if apple store employees get paid on commission? That would explain why he said not to buy a refurbished unit ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook 2 Ghz C2D, 2 Gb RAM, 120 Gb Hd, 2 gig black nano
i just bought a reburbed macbook about 2 months ago. It really looks brand new and has not given me really any major issues. I am very happy with it. The only thing I will do sometime is upgrade the ram to 2 gigs. I saved about 300 dollars on mine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, White, Intel Core 2 Duo 2ghz, 2gb RAM, 120gb HDD, MacOS X 1.4.9 & Vista Home Premium
I ordered my refurb MacBook on Thursday, arrived on Friday morning. The unit has very light (almost unnoticeable) scratches on the lid, besides that the notebook is in great, as new condition.

I ordered a white C2D 2ghz, 1gb, 80gb and receieved a C2D 2ghz, 2gb, 120gb. Not bad eh?

The only other thing though was the fact that I recieved two MacOSX Disc 2's so apple are going to ship a Disc 1 out to me. I assume that it's not ment to come with any other discs? iLife etc?

Ben

Reaction score
Well, my refurbished mac got here on thrusday, it had TWO dents on the case causing the case to bulge alittle. im sending it back and getting new. its only 100 dollars more for a new one with the student discount. just my 2 cents!!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Well, my refurbished mac got here on thrusday, it had TWO dents on the case causing the case to bulge alittle. im sending it back and getting new. its only 100 dollars more for a new one with the student discount. just my 2 cents!!

The term "refurbished" indicates that the item has been made "like new". I would just call AppleCare, tell them about the damage and ask for an exchange.

Reaction score
I have never bought a refurbished Mac but I will say this. Every, and I mean EVERY piece of electronic stuff I have ever purchased that was refurbished has worked completely perfectly and I have never NEVER had a problem with it. I have in the past purchased a refurbished PC computer, refurbished calculator, refurbished Multi CD player, all work perfect.

I see that you did get your refurbished Mac and I bet you will love it.

Reaction score
The term "refurbished" indicates that the item has been made "like new". I would just call AppleCare, tell them about the damage and ask for an exchange.

i called them on friday, they are supposed to get back to me today to arrange something

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
i called them on friday, they are supposed to get back to me today to arrange something

Glad to hear it, let us know how it works out.

Reaction score
Glad to hear it, let us know how it works out.

I actually arranged for a refund. i got shell shocked with the first one. the difference with a student discount for the same model is only 100 dollars and i have 40 dollars credit at the apple store to make it 60 for a new macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 80GB, 1GB, Superdrive
mine has JUST arrived - looks great, only a couple of barely viisible scratches on the lid - haven't turned it on yet though, hopefully it will be ok

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
I am typing this on my refurb right now and I can honestly say it looks and works just as well as a new system. I woud definatly buy refurb again!

Reaction score
Just got a refurbished MBP last night. Aside from me knowing it's refurb you couldn't tell otherwise. Not a single scratch or even a fingerprint on it anywhere. The charger & the remote I think were new too because they were sealed inside the plastic packaging. And considering a refurb carries the same warranty as a new unit I'd say I would definitely buy anything refurbished from Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15' 2.33Ghz C2D MBP, 3GB RAM, 200GB HDD
I waited too long yesterday to get a refurb c2d macbook pro (they had 15 inch c2d 2.33 models for 2 grand) and when I went to check out.. "Sorry, no stock available". I bought new today... I'm kinda glad I bought new. I got overnight shipping because I'm impatient, so I'll get mine tomorrow (ordered it today).

Reaction score
Got my refurb MacBook on last Tuesday. Nothing wrong with it at all except missing Tiger disks, but I'm heading back into the store today to get those.

Very happy with the purchase!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
Received the warranty box yesterday, the MacBook pro is supposed to be delivered today...have not voted in the poll yet will wait a week or so and see how it goes.

Reaction score
Ordered a refurb mbp core2 on Saturday. I have not received it yet because for some dumb reason I went with 5 day free ground shipping. Now I refresh the fedex page several times an hour looking for an update (none since Tuesday).
I will update when it arrives. I hope it comes before the weekend.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 2.3 ghz 6.5 GB ram 20" cinema display ..15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Core 2 Duo 2 Gig RAM
Siniik, I paid for 2 day shipping. It left California on Tuesday, FEDEX had it due to my house today. A few hours later (On Tuesday) it showed up as "Delivery Exception" Delayed beyond our control. It was still showing that status this morning, so I emailed FEDEX asking what was up. About an hour later the status changed to "On truck for delivery" so I think it was simply not scanned when it went out of California.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, mine arrived today DOA. No video at all, which does not bode well for their quality control.

Returning it and they are sending me a new one, non-refurb...so I had to vote No, I would not buy refurb again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.