Cant boot in to OSX......HELP!!!

Reaction score
Yesterday bought new computer table after setup, i put back my mac & speaker to its original place, log in try use and everythings goes FINE!

Today, I just move abit of the mac backward and while logging into osx, I already sense it weird.:( Coz the booting time to log in took quite sometime..... Ok once i was at the OSX platform I go to itunes it was working when i click into the application, play a song, then it hang...try read a cd click on the file hang again...cant read from my external drive....I force quick one to 2 times and it can go into the osx but then application that i click such as safari can log in at first but very slow then awhile it hang....

now I CANt even boot it in to osx..everytime i press the start button on my mac the white screen with the "circle" keep turning n turning clockwise but still cant log in to osx...

Oh! please some one can help me? ....

Reaction score
I suggest you put the install DVD/CD into the drive and reboot pressing/holding the C key upon hearing the startup Chime.

Then navigate to Disc Utilities and repair permissions/disc and reboot.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
sounds like you might have a hardware issue.

if you have your install disks, start up with the disk insterted and run the utility to check the hardware.

edit: of course Pulse is right there with more detailed info. ;)

OP
JaneChua
Reaction score
Hi all, I've this disk "Apple Hardware Test for diagnosing hardware problem disc" I press the mouse key while restarting my computer (reason cd tray cannot open), I insert the disc and then press the power button again + Press the C key. It get into the hardware test menu,I did a quick test and then restart the computer, still the same its cant boot into osx.....

Now i use the Mac OSX panther install disc 1 insert in the cd tray and press the power button + C key, STILL cant boot into osx HELP~~~

OP
JaneChua
Reaction score
btw, before this cant boot to osx problem happen....what i meant is when after i move my computer back abit, then i on my computer (first time I can log in to osx) while i click on itunes application and etc..I can heard a weird noise(like a ta-ta-ta-ta) comes from the HD(I guess).

Any idea what is that sound be? o_O?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Sounds to me like your hard drive is dying. I doubt moving your computer back caused this problem unless you dropped it while moving it. It's probably just coincidence.

OP
JaneChua
Reaction score
hi there, drop! That is a NO to me. When ever I move it I took a 100% care, that's my "baby"

Well, now I manage to boot in when insert the install disc. I go to Disk utility and select my HD do a repair disk and it repairing half way prompt me this message!!! OMG...

First Aid Failed
Disk utility stopped repairing "my HD" because the following error was encountered: The underlying task reported failure onexti

Request me to press ok.... WHAT SHOULD I DO NEXT...:eek:neye: :eek:neye: :eek:neye:

Here's the repairing message from start to stop:

Repairing disk for "my HD"
Cecking HFS Plus volume
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Invalid node structure
Rebuilding Catolog B-tree.
The volume "my HD" could not be repaired.

ERROR: The underlying task reported failure on exit (-9972)
Repair attempted on 1 volume
0 HFS Volumes repaired
1 volume could not repaired

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac
You may have to erase and reinstall your operating system.

OP
JaneChua
Reaction score
OMG are you serious? How am I going to back up my file before reinstore???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
OMG are you serious? How am I going to back up my file before reinstore???
If you have a bad HD (which is what this is really starting to sound like) then reinstalling won't help one bit. I would not bother taking the time to even try doing that.

Whatever the case, you will need to make sure that you have backups of your current data.
You may be able to connect your computer to another Mac using target disk mode. That way you could at least move your data off and make sure you have a proper backup if you need one.

OP
JaneChua
Reaction score
hi all thanks for quick reply.

well, I am not pro as a mac user...quite noob i am. Not really understand what is the problem cause my computer in the dying edge....

I only have this mac computer at home and none of my friends using mac... What I have is only a external HD which bought few months ago (its not a very good external HD...coz almost all the time its will hang when running and I had to force plug out the usb.

Actually I did reinstore osx only few months ago... I make a clean tidy from my HD and transfer most of the images, movies, musics to my external HD...

I think I will have to go for a reinstore osx again....

OP
JaneChua
Reaction score
I saw threads that had somethings said about File system check (hold down the Apple key & the S key) to boot into single user mode. Thought of trying that before I reinstall my mac.....

"And the thread did say when it boot into single user mode, when the text is done loading on the screen type in /sbin/fsck -f and hit enter"

I tried hold down Apple key & the S key and after text is done loading...I dont know wherlther my mac so call the text is it refer to the below, anyway it do not allow me to type in /sbin/fsck -f.... coz it just freeze after the last line of text.

BSD root: disk0s10, Major 14, minor 9
disk0s10: I/O error
Load of /sbin/mach_init, errno2, trying /etc/mach_init
Load of /etc/mach_init failed, errno2

Anyone know what does this mean?? Is my mac really DEAD?!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.