Ram Upgrades

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
Is it true if you upgrade your Ram you void your warranty?

I am asking because I want the 2 GB of ram in my Macbook when I order it. But I found the following on Amazon and it is very tempting:

Apple MacBook MA700LL/A 13.3" Notebook PC (2.0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB Hard Drive, SuperDrive) - White

&

AppleCare Protection Plan for MacBook/iBook MA519LL/A 3 Years

---------------------------------------------------------------------

$1,529.84

No Tax! A savings of over $100, and that is 2 day shipping. Its $1700 something with 2GB Ram w/tax from Apple.

Does anyone know how much a memory upgrade is from 1GB to 2GB done by Apple? (assuming you have to do Apple in order to avoid voiding the warranty).

Reaction score
Upgrading RAM on the Apple production line is the most sensible thing to do IMHO. Apple RAM is very affordable in this case. I was quoted $AUS600 for 2 X 1GB RAM upgrade "over the counter" when it would have only cost half that if I upgraded on the production line. Hope this makes sense.

OP
XMARLTONX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
I gotcha. I am actually wondering how much ram I need.

I'm going to use dashboard, burn a ton of dvds, use open office, surf the web, itunes, stuff like that.

I really REALLY want 2GB.....but am I wasting money getting it.

Reaction score
Here is some info regarding increasing your RAM:

Users will find the MacBook performance on all apps much snappier if they upgrade to 1GB, or even to the maximum of 2GB. The difference the extra RAM makes in the time it takes to launch and run apps is a quality of life improvement that is well worth the extra money.

The more memory your computer has, the more programs you can run simultaneously, and the better performance you get from your computer. How much memory is right for you?
Choose 512MB of memory (two 256MB modules) to support most day-to-day tasks such as email, word processing, spreadsheets, web browsing, and basic iLife '06 tasks.
Select 1GB of memory (two 512MB modules) if you'll be photo editing, creating illustrations, or building complex presentations.
Upgrade to the 2GB option (two 1GB modules) if you plan to use your system regularly for sound design, video editing, DVD authoring, animation, and other intensive tasks.
The MacBook uses one of the fastest memory technologies available today—667 MHz, double data rate (DDR2), synchronous dynamic random-access memory (SDRAM). It ensures high performance and reliability by synchronizing memory speed with the speed of the central processor so that data can be delivered continuously and more rapidly to the processor. And if both slots are loaded with an equal amount of RAM -- which is strongly recommended -- you can take advantage of the system's dual-channel memory architecture for an additional performance boost. With a dual-channel memory interface, both banks of SDRAM can be addressed at the same time, enabling MacBook to reach a memory throughput of up to 10.7 GBps.

OP
XMARLTONX
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.06 iMac i3|12GB|500GB
Sounds like I'm gettin the 2 GB one then LOL

=)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.