External DVD Burner help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook, 1.83 ghz, 512 mb RAM, 60 gb HD
I am looking into getting an external DVD burner for my macbook, what do you guys recommend? Thanks.

Reaction score
G'day groovetuber,

Here's what I've found about buying an ext dvd burner:

mac external dvd burner, DVD Recorder CD & DVD Drives

In my search I also found various snippets from forums about external DVD burner experiences:

This afternoon i got an external dvd burner which is connected to my emac via a usb cable. I am not sure if it works right out of the box, because right away I installed software which I found on the LaCie homepage. I was able to use this sofware because i found out that LaCie is using Nec dvd burners to build its products. In your case that's probably not an option.
But i had problems using the apple application iDvd.
After some research on the net i found the following webpage.
http://www.patchburn.de/
On this webpage you can download a patch program that adds support for dvd burners.
It allows many, otherwise unsupported burners to be used directly with Mac-OS X, iTunes and DiscBurne. Hopefully this might work for you too.
In my case, even Idvd seems to work fine.

Apple doesn't support a lot of DVD burners. Even if you do get them to work in the Finder and have them recognized by your system, it's a different story to get them to work with Apple programs. There have been many threads about it. Before you buy a dvd burner, always check with Apples support pages!

I also believe that utitlising your Macs FireWire connection may be the better avenue for peripherals ...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.