Transparent To Do List for Desktop?

nef

Reaction score
Hi is there any type of to do list which can stay transparent and look good on the desktop? I saw peoples desktops and they had "Geek Pub" which blended with the background and displayed rss feeds. So just looking for something that will remind me of what I need to do in the background on the desktop.
Thanks all.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
a real low tech way of doing this would be to just title text documents with your to-do list items and then set the desktop display to have file names to the right of the icon and make the icons small. then you could even make notes about those items in the text docs.

Reaction score
I use stickies and have them load at login. I minimise them and you can partially see what each stickie refers to.

M

MacHeadCase

It isn't transparent but neatly tucks under the side of your screen of your choice. It's Pierre Chatel's Sidenote. I have been using it for about 18 months and I find it quite useful.

Reaction score
You can either use stickies as Pulse-8 suggests and set the note to translucent (and maybe floating) or use text documents as eric suggests. I kind of use both. If I'm in the middle of something and have to leave my desk for a few minutes I leave a sticky to remind me what I'm doing when I get back.

For longer-term stuff or just reminders, I have a Quicksilver trigger (F2) that prepends text to a document called, um, "To-Do". I made an automator workflow saved as an iCal plugin that opens the To-Do documents at 9.25am every day to remind me what's on the list.

(For some things I just use a pencil and a piece of paper...)

For what it's worth I tried Sidenote and didn't get on with it; it just seemed to complicated for what I wanted to do, but it might be worth a go. Beware, though – it's not that simple to uninstall should you decide you don't like it.

M

MacHeadCase

Doh! Just noticed you can set in Sidenote's preferences the transparency!

MartinS, did you manually try to uninstall Sidenote or did you use AppZapper?

I have installed Sidenote long a go and cannot for the life of me remember if it comes with its own uninstaller or not.

Not that I want to uninstall it (have been using it well over a year and love it: it's part of my most useful apps), but only to clarify for those who are wondering about the uninstall process you pointed out in your post.

Reaction score
I tried it not so long ago. I think I had to open activity monitor and stop it that way, then delete it. I think. I had to google for a while to find the answer, anyway.

No doubt a lot of people will like it, it just didn't fit in with the way I work, that's all. I don't like lots of little poppy-outey things on my desktop, either.

If I'm gathering notes I'll either type into a TextEdit file and/or drag text across, then copy it all into Scrivener where I knock it into shape.

M

MacHeadCase

You couldn't make Sidenote quit in the scroll-down it has? That's odd. I launch it then quit it whenever I don't need it running anymore.

Reaction score
You can quit it, but try uninstalling it (not that you want to, but...)

M

MacHeadCase

I'd be curious to see what AppZapper would do with the uninstall...

But I'm not gonna try it. LOL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 20", iBook G4, iPhone 8GB :)
Check out this app, Anxiety. http://anxietyapp.com

It syncs with iCal, plus you can add your own todo's to it. Takes up little space in it's small little floating window. Sort of transparent I guess...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
How do you get the Stickies app to load when you first start your Mac?

System Preferences>>>Accounts>> Login Items (Tab)>>> Click the + (plus) and add Stickies.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
Check out this app, Anxiety. http://anxietyapp.com

It syncs with iCal, plus you can add your own todo's to it. Takes up little space in it's small little floating window. Sort of transparent I guess...

that's what I use too. If you have Leopard, it can also sync with the to-do list in Apple Mail.

Haven't used it that much, but so far it's working perfectly. No bugs and no problems. Freeware, too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.