New mac user just bought ibook g3

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just bought an ibook g3 600mhz off of ebay it should be here in a few days. Ive never owned a mac just used them occasionally at school so im not too familiar with them. Is there anything I should expect? Aslo it say is has ma OS X on it. what would be the equivalent to that in pc terms, for example is that like windows 2000 to xp or xp to vista. basicly is it an old OS or is it new?

Thanks guys and i really hope this mac works out for me ive heard nothing but good things

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
CAn you post a link to the Ebay Ad so I can figure out which version of OSX it is and help you? OSX is not like Windows and there are no say Home, Pro, Ultimate, just OSX, but there are a few versions that are more like say going from 2k to XP. If you can post the URL I will try and find out what version is coming with your ibook.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Overall it looks like a good deal. His feedback is very good. The OS is OSX 10.2 Jaguar. That was the first version of OSX to really work well. BUT, I on that machine would recomend you get a used copy of Panther 10.3 off Ebay. They are going for a low price these days and up the RAM a bit. Your machine comes with a 128Meg soldered to the board and one SoDimm slot that will take a PC100 512Meg SoDimm. If you have any more problems or questions, ask away.

OP
Y
Reaction score
Ok im glad you adressed the memory, Ive always owned pc's and there's like a hundred companys that make memory sticks for them and i didnt know if that was the case with apple. So is it the same or different than normal laptop memory?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
i would bid if i were you.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Same PC100 SoDimm that most use.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.