Print quality adjustment question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20", 1GB RAM
I have a Canon i850 printer. When I go to print photos, it prints in draft mode. I have checked the printer under system preferences but there is no option to adjust print quality. On a PC I was always able to go to print options to set that up. I have the updated driver from Canon and I am using their Easy Photo print software.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have a Canon i850 printer. When I go to print photos, it prints in draft mode. I have checked the printer under system preferences but there is no option to adjust print quality. On a PC I was always able to go to print options to set that up. I have the updated driver from Canon and I am using their Easy Photo print software.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

When you go to print, choose File -> Print. Then, you should see a window with three fields at the top. The top field should say the printer name, the next field should say "Presets:", the very next field is where you can choose print options. By default it will say "Copies and Pages", just change it to the item you want to change. Once you finish changing the parameters to your satisfaction, you can save your presets in the second field.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20", 1GB RAM
That did seem to help, but it still appears to be printing faster than it should. I can easily see the print lines on the picture, where that wasn't a problem before.

M

MacHeadCase

Did you make sure you have the latest printer driver version for Mac OS X?

From the Canon website, the latest version seems to be 4.1.5 and was released in March 2006.

The Easy-PhotoPrint application is up to 3.5.4 for Mac OS X and was released in September 2006.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That did seem to help, but it still appears to be printing faster than it should. I can easily see the print lines on the picture, where that wasn't a problem before.

Make sure you change the DPI setting. 300 DPI is fast, "draft" mode usually, 600 DPI is "normal", and anything better is "fine" or very high quality (to be used with photo or high-resolution paper).

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20", 1GB RAM
I believe I do have the latest drivers but I will double check.

Where do I change the DPI setting?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I believe I do have the latest drivers but I will double check.

Where do I change the DPI setting?

It's going to be driver-specific and since I don't have your model printer, I can't say for sure, but it would be under one of those parameters in the afore-mentioned third field.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.