Mouse Freezes on Startup Mystery

Reaction score
The mouse froze in the top-left corner again after startup, forcing a hard boot. The machine is a dual-gig Windtunnel running 10.3. There is one message on this board from December of last year about this, but it appears no one had an answer. Maybe there'll be better luck this time.

The freeze occurs at least once a week or so and requires a hard boot. But this time, when the steam from my ears dissipated, I figured it was past time to slay the dragon. More than a decade is long enough; it's been a thorn for umpteen systems back and four machines, beginning on an LC running 7.0, and I have vague recollections of it occurring on machines at my long-ago workplace that had IICs running 6.2.

Five left-of-the-decimal-point system advancements leaves little that can be common to all, including the three System Xs I've had, all of which are guilty.

Maybe it's a string of boilerplate by a long-dead programmer who was bitter with the world. Whatever, does anyone have the answer?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
I know I'm a bit repetative on this, but it's usually a good start. Have you tried repairing permissions and been up to date on cron tasks? Just in case so you don't have to wait for another reply:
Finder, Applications. Utilities, Disk Utility. After the message -getting disk information- select volume (below the hard drive name -upper left corner). Just highlight it. Now look to the lower two things are there near the middle, varify permissions, repair permissions. Click repair permissions. Also make sure you run cron tasks Finder, Applications. Utilities Terminal type (switching to root - superuser) sudo sh /etc/daily > this needs to be done /weekly (instead of dailly) and monthly. again with all apps closed.

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi, Witeshark

Thanks for the reply. Alas, all that stuff is up to date. I use MacJanitor and OnyX, and I have Norton 8.0, but that's another post. I wonder whether there is any code still being used from way back when that carries such a flaw. It would have had to follow it through all the changes over a zillion years and affect ADB, USB and wireless mice.

Maybe its the ghost in the machine. Can't trust them ghosts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Are you using Apple or other then Apple RAM?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.6 ghz G5, Dual Monitors / 17" PowerBook 1.33 / 12" iBook
I had the same issue on my 17" powerbook. Removing the extra 512 ram fixed the problem. Sent the ram in for replacement and haven't received it back yet.

No mouse freezes or kernel panics since I pulled the extra ram.

Jerry

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.