OS 10.4 preforming extremely slow.

Reaction score
My mac runs horribly slow sometimes. For no reason at all the daisy wheel cursor will come on and sometimes stay on for several minutes I have no clue what it's doing. Applications are sluggish, booting takes awhile, but I'm not particularly concerned with that. My system is up to date, and I usually run with about 512MB free of system memory. I've used several tweak applications to help but they don't do much. Is there really that much difference between 10.3 and 10.4 that I can't run it on this G4?

Specs:
1.4ghz G4
1GB ram
60GB hdd
CDRW/DVD combo drive
Bluetooth and WiFi

mac.png

Reaction score
My mac runs horribly slow sometimes. For no reason at all the daisy wheel cursor will come on and sometimes stay on for several minutes I have no clue what it's doing. Applications are sluggish, booting takes awhile, but I'm not particularly concerned with that. My system is up to date, and I usually run with about 512MB free of system memory. I've used several tweak applications to help but they don't do much. Is there really that much difference between 10.3 and 10.4 that I can't run it on this G4?

Specs:
1.4ghz G4
1GB ram
60GB hdd
CDRW/DVD combo drive
Bluetooth and WiFi

G'day General Zod & welcome to Mac-Forums.

I would suggest you download a maintenance app like OnyX and clean your caches right out. Reboot and report back regardless of the result.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Hi All, here is the general "prescription" for speeding up a sluggish Mac:

First, check that your processor is running full speed. Go to Preferences, Energy Saver, Options and look at the drop box down near the bottom called Processor Performance. If it is not set to "Highest", set it to that right away. This maximizes performance, but for notebooks, it may run down the battery faster.

Next, download OnyX and run the complete set of clean up and maintenance scripts and then try again. Get OnyX at:

http://www.titanium.free.fr/pgs/english.html

Finally, you may wish to check that you have enough free space on your hard drive. Highlight the Macintosh HD icon on your desktop, CTL-click it and select Get Info from the resulting menu. Make sure you have a reasonable amount of space left. If not, a little spring cleaning may be in order.

There are two excellent apps for showing where all of your hard disk space has gone, Disk Inventory X and WhatSize. Get them at:

Disk Inventory X: http://www.derlien.com

WhatSize: http://www.id-design.com/software/whatsize

Both do a great job at letting you zero in on your largest disk space consumers, so that you can hunt down any rogue files.

Do the OnyX thing first, then restart and try out one or both of the above tools. By the way, all three are freeware!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.