How do I make it faster?!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G3 iMac 400Mhz, 512Mb RAM,10GB HDD
So I've got an old G3 400 with 384Mb RAM, and it's SLOW! The cool animations are KILLING this computer... Anyway I can get rid of the minamize animations? I've already turned it to scale, which helped improve it a bit, but it's still frustrating! YouTube is SLOOOW! I realize it's an old machine and all, but it's pointless having it if it's goign to run so slow. The programs I have running: Finder, FireFox, Xchat Aqua, iTunes, iChat. I've googled around with no hints on how to speed it up.

OP
IceCreamMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Six years old machine. Thanks for the links! Do you think upgrading to 1GB or RAM would make it pretty **** fast? I have no plans of updating the OS further than 3.9. I would really like to know if I can scratch the animation effects on it though. I guess I'll look into buying a G4 or G5 iMac now that I'm pretty sure I'm in love with it.

M

MacHeadCase

If it's the machine I linked you to, a Power Mac W&B G3 400MHz, it's 8 years old:

Introduction Date: January 5, 1999
Discontinued Date: August 31, 1999

I didn't make the numbers up, it's from the EveryMac website.

And upgrading the RAM wouldn't hurt but you wouldn't get a speed demon by any means. It would make it more stable, though.

OP
IceCreamMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This Mac was made in 2001, that would be 6 years...

M

MacHeadCase

Hmm. In that case, email EveryMac to point out their error so they can change the dates.

OP
IceCreamMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You were looking at a Power Mac, no my iMac. I see what's going on. :p I'm going to upgrade to 512Mb and see if it helps any... I really would like to know if I could disable all these little animations...

M

MacHeadCase

Oh I thought you had looked at the link I posted wayyyyyyyyy up there. :headphone

LOL

OP
IceCreamMan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Oh, I just thought you were emphasizing it being 8 years old... I'm not use to links on a Mac actually. The slow speed isn't going to kill me yet. I'll wait till my two 256 chips arrive and we'll see if it helps any!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.