Is there any way to make Mac OS X look like Windows XP?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
Let me make this clear right off the bat. I LOVE THE WAY MAC OS X IS SET UP AND THIS QUESTION IS NOT FOR ME. However, since my Dad is now thinking about getting an iMac and he's never used a Mac in his life and he has enough trouble using Windows as it is, is there any type of program to make Mac OS X look like Windows XP so that my Dad's switch will be a bit easier? I'm kinda looking for something like Flyakite for Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
There is an XP theme available to use with shapeshifter, http://interfacelift.com/themes-mac/details.php?id=10, but I don't think it will help him get used to OSX. It will just have him asking "It LOOKS like windows, why doesn't it WORK like windows" and may end up confusing him even more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Let me make this clear right off the bat. I LOVE THE WAY MAC OS X IS SET UP AND THIS QUESTION IS NOT FOR ME. However, since my Dad is now thinking about getting an iMac and he's never used a Mac in his life and he has enough trouble using Windows as it is, is there any type of program to make Mac OS X look like Windows XP so that my Dad's switch will be a bit easier? I'm kinda looking for something like Flyakite for Mac.

Yeah sure... a "friend" of mine has a problem. :D:D:D:D:D

Just kidding customer... some people (my own father included) need to make changes ever, ever so slooooooooooowly. :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
I always prefer to just jump in, rather than wade...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I agree with surfwax95 - your father should just "bite the bullet". The Mac experience is so superior to Windows, he should try out the whole thing. He will be amazed! I suspect that he won't have that much trouble. In general, a Mac is more intuitive, and easier to use, than a Mac.

However, you might want to get him the excellent book "Mac OS X The Missing Manaul, Tiger Edition". This book will take him from (to quote a friend of mine) "from zero to hero"!

M

MacHeadCase

There is an XP theme available to use with shapeshifter, http://interfacelift.com/themes-mac/details.php?id=10, but I don't think it will help him get used to OSX. It will just have him asking "It LOOKS like windows, why doesn't it WORK like windows" and may end up confusing him even more.

I entirely agree with Michael.
icon14.gif

It could add to his dad's frustration in having to learn a new OS from something that almost looks identical to what he is more used to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac--OSX 10.6.7
I suspect that I am older than your father and I recently switched to a Mac. There is no way I would want this machine to look anything like Windows. That would only remind me of all the problems I used to have before making the change. I would certainly recommend another book in the 'Missing Manual' series. It is called "Switching to the Mac" and is by David Pogue. It guides you easily into the new system by showing the Mac equivalents to Windows methods.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook, 2.0ghz C2D, 120gb hdd, 1gb RAM
i jumped in too. Granted I was still using a Windows machine everyday until a bit over a week ago when i got my ibook g4. Of course my mac before was a g3 so anyone can see why i was still using the PC. I love macs now, i want to upgrade a few things though.

OP
TheCustomer99
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Apple Black MacBook 2 GB RAM, 2.0 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo Proecessor, 120 GB HD. 30 GB Black iPod Video
Yeah sure... a "friend" of mine has a problem. :D:D:D:D:D

Jeez RIDE, I just made my Mac look awesome. You can see the picture in the Post Your Desktop thread here. There is no way on earth that I'd ever want to go back to that clunky, ugly windows look.

It will just have him asking "It LOOKS like windows, why doesn't it WORK like windows" and may end up confusing him even more.

Well, at least he's making a move in the right direction. He seems pretty serious about getting a 20" iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Oldie here too who changed over alone with the help of 'The Missing Manual' With even older switchers most seem happier with their favourite desktop picture 'Wallpaper' and plenty of alias's 'Shortcuts' on the desktop in case they get lost :) You could try a folder of Alias's in the Dock to look like the start menu.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
I can see this. I did something similar, but the other way. Before I switched, I downloaded a Windows theme (sounded something like firefly?) that basically made my windows environment looks like OSX. The creator did a brilliant job and it's brought me one step closer to my eventual switch. I almost for got about, but now that I think about it, I should change the Windows side of my MBP to the theme so it's not such a difference when I switch back and forth.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, 2.0 ghz Intel Core 2, 2GB ram||[G4 Imac Flat Panel] |800mhz|1Gb RAM|60gb HDD

LOL if he has enough trouble using windows then why make it look like windows?

I switched my parent's to mac and it didn't take long at all to adjust because it isn't windows XP. They love how OS X is easier for them.

OP
TheCustomer99
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can see this. I did something similar, but the other way. Before I switched, I downloaded a Windows theme (sounded something like firefly?) that basically made my windows environment looks like OSX.

It's called Flyakite, I use it on my older Dell Dimension 300.

LOL if he has enough trouble using windows then why make it look like windows?

I switched my parent's to mac and it didn't take long at all to adjust because it isn't windows XP. They love how OS X is easier for them.

Good point.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Good God. Make your OS look like a relic from 2001? Yuck.

Seriously though, you'd just end up with a different font and solid blue title bars. It wouldn't make it at all like Windows and it wouldn't save your dad any confusion at all.

Anyway, all he has to learn is that all the programs he needs are at the bottom of the screen in the dock. Just click on what he wants to get going.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM
I suspect that I am older than your father and I recently switched to a Mac. There is no way I would want this machine to look anything like Windows. That would only remind me of all the problems I used to have before making the change. I would certainly recommend another book in the 'Missing Manual' series. It is called "Switching to the Mac" and is by David Pogue. It guides you easily into the new system by showing the Mac equivalents to Windows methods.

This is probably the best advice so far. A "been there, done that" user, providing first hand experience.

I agree with others, too - whatever you do, DON'T make your dad's Mac experience resemble ANYTHING like his Windows experience, unless you want to sour his opinion of OS X as well.
That would leave only Linux - and you don't want to hand that off to anyone coming from Windows cold turkey.:eek:

Reaction score
All of the above! :)

Why would you wish to make such a beautiful and intuitive OS, look anything like the OS he is trying to move away from (Welcome to Macintosh, by the way!)

Just buy him: "Mac OS X Tiger Edition – The Missing Manual"

It is the best investment *any* Macintosh user could ask for, trust me!.
Help him to un-learn the bad habits/rituals/whatever/ that Microsoft have so deeply engrained into people's subconscious, and show him the way it *should* be done - make a direct and clean break, and none of this "weening off Windows" melarkey!.

New OS, new GUI - BETTER gui. It makes sense not to hand-hold too much, and by re-creating a Windows-esque scenario, you are preventing him from making the switch, properly!.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G3 350MHz, 256MB Ram, OS X 10.3.9
You could also use Paralells and use XP with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
You could also use Paralells and use XP with it.

That's not using Mac OS, that's using Windows, which defeats the object of switching.

I agree with everyone else - just jump in. Otherwise there are two learning curves - learning some ugly OSX/XP hybrid mutant monster, THEN learning OS X as it's supposed to be.

Reaction score
I don't see why all the beating about the bush - in all the time you have been following this thread, you could have been teaching OS X instead!. What a complete waste of time this seems to be. I find, that if someone needs to learn something enough, then they _will_ do so!.

If he can find his way around the cobbled-together mess of a patchwork GUI, that is XP, then the sheer simplicity and delight of a Macintosh, is going to be a walk in the preverbial park to him. Just get rid of the PeeCee, and get the Macintosh installed ASAP, otherwise you are wasting MORE time.

I wish you both, all the best.

@ unhappyending - saving for a Mac Mini hey?. Wise purchase decision!. I recently purchased the 1.66Ghz CD model, and proceeded to open it up and install 2Gb of Crucial DDR2 667. Runs like a dream, so go for it. Crucial ram is DIRT cheap right now!!.

Crucial DDR2 PC2-5300, 667Mhz ram (2x 1Gb sticks):
http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listparts.aspx?model=Mac+mini+(Intel+Core+Duo+-+1.66GHz)

£70.49 currently, which **INCLUDES** VAT _and_ free shipping!!.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, iPad, MacBook Pro.
Yes I agree with most guys on here, just let him try it, as it is, im sure he will get on with it ok, dont spoil a good system like OS X. Most of us on here I bet have moved on from Windows Systems, and would not want anything like a XP or a Vista desktop.......... YUK!
Chris

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.