Can I install Panther on an iBook that shipped with tiger?

Reaction score
My 14", 1.42 Ghz iBook G4 shipped with Tiger but Tiger is a bit hard on it (because of spotlight and Dashboard). I know that they can be disabled but I'd rather use Panther. Is it possible? I had put in the Panther CD in and tried to start setup but it got stuck at the grey apple screen after rebooting. Is it possible to install Panther? If yes, how?

Sultan

Reaction score
I'm not sure, but it sounds like it's not able to be done, I will look into it though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, iPhone
Honestly, the only way I can see it happening is if you buy a copy. But in the end your gonna pay practically just as much as the price of buying an 512MB of RAM..and that would definitely help the lagging your experiencing with Tiger.

Reaction score
If your iBook shipped with Tiger then those install discs are designed for the hardware of your mac. To install Panther is taking a backward step but your hardware unfortunately cannot also step backwards, so it is not going to work and would also go against the EULA.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook, 2.0ghz C2D, 120gb hdd, 1gb RAM
just max the ram, it should be fine. 1.5gb ram will be more than enough to run 10.4 well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.