Do Not Download 10.4.9 Update!

Reaction score
Downloaded the new OS10 update for my G5 PowerMac as soon as it appeared on my screen. What a nightmare! Upon rebooting, I lost my two WD firewire external hard drives, plus my firewire scanner and Epson printer. Spent four hours on the phone yesterday morning with Apple tech support, Adobe, Extensis, local techie, etc. Apple's advice was to reinstall the original operating system, which played havoc with all preferences, etc. for Adobe CS2 and Acrobat, Quark, Suitcase Fusion -- just everything. A day later, I am still not back to normal. BEWARE! I had a perfectly fine working machine until I downloaded the 10.4.9 update!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15 inch 1.83. iBook G4.
i have just done the upgrade and not had any issues so far - but dont have loads of stuff connected or software like the OP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Sorry to hear about your issues with 10.4.9.

I ran the upgrade on my MacBook and three iBooks without a problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Spent four hours on the phone yesterday morning with Apple tech support,

4 hours to tell 3 companies your printers weren't being recognised?

Reinstalling is a last resort. What else did you try first?

Reaction score
Most of the problems I have heard with 10.4.9 involve installing the update with other programs running. It has also been strongly suggested to fire up Disk Utility and run Repair Permissions first.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs 17+20" 2.16GHz 2GB RAM 500MB HDD 256MB Graphic card. 60Gig 5th gen iPod with Video
Another tip MHC came up with was to remove all peripherals before upgrading too

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
For the first time ever with my Mac did I have a problem and it was with this update. (see other 10.4.9 post) The end result was a clean install, and I still have 6-8 hours of reinstall work to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
This is bad, very bad. I may sit this one out. I have a perfectly functioning Mac at this point and don't want to mess it up. Bad on you Apple! Not at all like your usual performance!

M

MacHeadCase

I just did a SuperDuper! backup, cleaned out caches and other MainMenu stuff, restarted with peripherals unplugged, installed the three updates that were ready for me via Softwate Update, restarted and here I am! No problems whatsoever. :girl:

Reaction score
i have not had any problems with installing the 10.4.9 update. i even had all my programs opened that i usually run while doing the update.

Reaction score
Except for a little issue with my widgets, I had no problems. Restart took a long time, though and I was very tempted to turn off the computer. Sounds like a bunch of people did exactly that ... which might have contributed to their troubles.

Nonetheless, there are quite a few people who seem to be having enough trouble with the update that I'd hold off for a bit unless one of the fixes affects you directly in a major way.

Reaction score
>> Restart took a long time

had exactly the same on an intel macbook, I would add that is was LONG*LONG not just long time.

The second restart also took a while to load the OS, the 3rd restart was shorted than the secobd, the 4th shorter than the 3rd. On 5th or 6th everything was back to normal, the speed to boot was as before the update.

Everything else seems to work as did till the update.

M

MacHeadCase

BTW, I don't know if you all saw it but Apple has released today iTunes 7.1.1 (also an iTunes 7.1.1 update for Windoze) and it was in one of the three installs I earlier posted about.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 Inch, 2 Mac Mini's 1.66 & 1.83, 2- iMac Intel i3 iPhone 4 & iPad 2 32 gig.
>> Restart took a long time

The second restart also took a while to load the OS, the 3rd restart was shorted than the second, the 4th shorter than the 3rd. On 5th or 6th everything was back to normal, the speed to boot was as before the update.

I would say that my 3rd restart took longer than my 6th, or maybe it was the 7th restart. No, now that I think about it the 4th restart was in fact longer than the 15th restart. Anyway, Who's on third?

Reaction score
You're supposed to disconnect all firewire devices when installing an update. Not sure about USB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
it sounds like you didnt exactly update your computer properly man. i have my g5 powermac sitting right here 100% healthy after the update.

best practice is to close out all programs and disconnect everything but ethernet and keyboard/mouse....i have never had a problem updating while doing this
-chris

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Funny, I have always done all my updates with my Firewire iSight plugged in, with no issues.

There does seem to be an emerging consensus here though:
1/ Unplug everything except keyboard and mouse
2/ Close all open programs
3/ Run the update and then restart
4/ Go get several coffees while you wait for the restart to finish. DO NOT turn off the computer at this stage!!
5/ Optionally, restart again. This one should be shorter than the first one - perhaps only one coffee while you wait.
6/ After that, all is well?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Besides unplugging accessories and closing all apps before installing updates installing the Combo updater for 4.9 rather than just the point release might sort out a few problems. No problems here either.
Best.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac Intel Core Duo 2 (Standard)
I just installed it with Apps running then closed everything then restarted and no problems. I think though I am going to come a cropper soon as I never back up work, photo's, and I never take "precautions" such as those mentioned in this.

Although I wouldn't suggest anyone follow my Computer Practices, Shame some people have had such trouble with it though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, Intel Core 2 Duo
I guess I will wait before I download this update, the last thing I want is a clean re install and loosing everything.
I few have called apple tech with their issues, and hopefully they might find something in 10.4.9 to fix(although members installed without a glitch)
After all is well then I will give it a try. So far 10.4.8 is runnig perfect for me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.