how to install new operating system?

Reaction score
HI there,

I am a windows person who has just obtained a Mac and knows nothing about them. I have a mac with OS9.2 on it which is not working properly. I have a 4 CD set of OSX10.4 and want to install it on my mac. The mac is not new: G4 I think.

In windows if you put a CD in and turn on the computer you have the option of installing the operating system on the CD. THis does not appear to be the case with Mac. I guess I'm asking, how do I upgrade to the new operating system on my CD's on MAC?

Any help greatly appreciated!

H.

M

MacHeadCase

Hi lazerweb.

Just pop in the first install CD in the optical drive, restart holding down the C key and just follow the prompts for the install.

Make sure you have enough RAM though. Tiger will make a G4 sluggish if it doesn't have enough RAM and not all the Tiger eye candy (Core Image, just to name one) will be supported by your graphics card unless it is in this list:

Core Image-capable graphics cards include:
ATI Mobility Radeon 9700
ATI Radeon 9550, 9650, 9600, 9600 XT, 9800 XT, X800 XT
nVidia GeForce FX Go 5200
nVidia GeForce FX 5200 Ultra
nVidia GeForce 6800 Ultra DDL, 6800 GT DDL

OP
L
Reaction score
thanks for that. I did a bit of googling and realised about this "c" thing. I would never have guessed LOL! I think theres only about 256 ram in this machine, pribably not enough?

Reaction score
Hi and welcome!
A couple of questions, it is important to know what model Mac you have, how big the hard drive, how much space is free is on it, how much ram you have and what you mean by System 9.2 not working properly. So...
Go up to the Apple icon in the upper left hand corner, go down to Apple System Profiler. We are looking for Built in Ram and Processor info from the first tab called System Profile. The next tab, called Devices and Volumes will have the info about your hard drive. Finally, what is wrong with System 9.2 and unless you have an intellectual curiosity with antiques, do you want to keep it?!
Did you get OS X installed with MacHeadCase's instructions?

OP
L
Reaction score
Hi there, well, I know the specs of the Mac. It only has 128MB RAM. It's a G400 with 20GB space. A friend gave it to me and said the 9.2 version was not working. IE; When I tried to open a browser I got a message saying it did not work (I can't remember exact message). I don't have the MAC on right now...I now realise that OSX 10.4 requires at least 256 MB RAM.... bummer! I want to upgrade to the 10.4 version, which I have on 4 CD's....Incidentally, with the G400, is the RAM different than that used on PC's?? (This could be a really stupid question I know LOL!)...I have a lot of PC RAM lying around the place here...thats why I'm asking... I understand that there are many different kind of PC RAM, but if the G400 uses same structured ram as PC's I might be able to pump more ram into it...

Reaction score
Do the System Profiler thing, I don't know of any Mac called a G400 although there was a G4 with a 400MHz processor that shipped with a 20 gig hard drive. If so, then you could be in luck with the ram. It took standard 168 pin PC100 chips, max it out! Your 128 won't do it, 256 is the minimum but anything north of 512 would be better. Let us know!

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks Sherman! Yep. I was a bit slack with the description. It is indeed a G4 with 400MHZ and 20GB HDD. You hit the nail on the head. So, are you saying I could use windows RAM in this machine? As in PC100 chips? If so, I might well be in luck with up to a gig of RAM. Woo hoo!

Reaction score
I think there were three 400MHz G4 models, they all take 168 pin, PC100, 3.3 volt, 8-byte, non-parity, unbuffered, yada yada ram. However, if I remember correctly all three models have different limits. Do the System Profiler gig!

OP
L
Reaction score
will do the system profiler thing tomorrow (3am here in Sydney Australia lol) and get back to you. Thanks for your help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.