iBook on standby - damage HD

S

soulredeemer

Hi

I just accidently put my iBook on standby and carried it around with me for a whole day. It only used up 10% of the battery though. Isnt it true that you should not be moving your hard disk around when it's actually in use? I know that you will say that the HD stops moving when its on standby, but the moment you open you laptop, it continues instantaneously as if it was never asleep (quicktime movie starts immedaitly as well). Does it all gets temporarily stored in RAM or something? If not is putting your laptop on standby and carrying it around a damaging to your laptop?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Yeah as far as I know, the standby is booted up and the hard drive asleep. And yeah, the quick start of apps is because they were booted to RAM. I would think it's prefered to sleep it before moving it, but then in the Apple store a booted and running note book gets picked up and shaken all the time in the Apple store... and none have been harmed :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
soulredeemer said:
Hi

I just accidently put my iBook on standby and carried it around with me for a whole day. It only used up 10% of the battery though. Isnt it true that you should not be moving your hard disk around when it's actually in use? I know that you will say that the HD stops moving when its on standby, but the moment you open you laptop, it continues instantaneously as if it was never asleep (quicktime movie starts immedaitly as well). Does it all gets temporarily stored in RAM or something? If not is putting your laptop on standby and carrying it around a damaging to your laptop?

Thanks in advance.

As long as the lid was closed, the machine was safe to transport.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Just don't move the laptop until the little light comes on confirming that the hard drive is locked. I put mine in the bag all the time asleep. No problem quote from my bros e-mail since I don't have my iBook yet :p but I will! :cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
dont forget that you should remove CD's from the drives when moving so they dont get lodged in there

OP
T

trenollet

You shouldn't have anything to worry about even with the power on, the HD in the ibook is mounted to a metal chasis with 4 rubber shocks which help prevent damage from movement. Also most HD's made within the past few years are designed to withstand movment while in use, i.e. using it while in a car or airplane... especially the Hitachi / IBM drives which Apple uses.

It is always good pracitce however to sleep the computer when transporting because you never know when or where Murphy is going to strike. When in sleep mode the heads on the HD are parked thus protecting the drive from low-level shock like carrying it around in a back-pack.

When in doubt, use your best judgement. Nothing wrong with being a little cautious if it gives you peace of mind :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.