Disabling network security

Reaction score
Hey
Have just got SKy Broadband and router. Have a wireless imac. The only way I can get it to connect wirelessly (it says it can't accept the password) is if I disable the security for accessing the network.

1. how do I fix this?
2. is it bad having security disabled?

Thanks sooooo much

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD
I have a D-Link modem/router and a MacBook. When I installed the modem/router I started using it without configuring any security. My MacBook airport simply picked up the signal and started using the internet. Once the internet was working I went to the D-Link website and set the security.

The only thing that happens if you don't put security is that other people who have wireless computers can access your wireless network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD
The only thing that happens if you don't put security is that other people who have wireless computers can access your wireless network.

Having said this, here is more info:

"Wireless security is important in the home for the same reasons why it is important in corporations. If you have an unsecured wireless network in your home, anyone in close proximity can spy on your online activities. Depending on how your home network is configured, someone could even gain full access to your computer’s hard drive over an unsecured wireless network.

Even if no one is around that wants to spy on you or perform some malicious action against you, your neighbors could sponge off of your Internet connection. This would not only deprive you of bandwidth that you are paying for, but if your neighbor conducted some illegal activity while online, it could be traced back to your network."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.53GHz, C2D, 4G RAM, 250G HDD
If you have a WEP password, simply type a $ sign at the beginning of your password. That will probably do it

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.