• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Educational Discount!!!!

Reaction score
Hey guys, i have a question. I know its sort of cheating the system, but is it okay to do it? I just graduated from college and planning on buying a macbook for Law school. However, i'm not eligible for a educational discount because im CURRENTLY not in school. Can i just click "accept" on the apple website and get the educational discount. It seems like its just an honor system procedure. (Will they request a certain ID or classes I'm taking?!?) Let me know, because $100 discount for me is a big difference. Thanks guys.

OR is it okay for a friend who is in College to purchase it for me via APPLE WEBSITE?!?! But i dont really see the incentive in that...might as well do it myself...u know?!?!?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook, Core 2 Duo, 2.0 ghz, 1GB RAM, 80GB HD
Yes, you can do that. When you purchase online, there isn't a verification procedure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
I even got the $100 off at a local computer store. I asked if they could match the discount so I could get it that day and they said "yup"

OP
J
Reaction score
this website is soo cool. I love it that i always get a response to any MAC question that i have. Thanks to all and already, I'm loving APPLE...hope ill love the mac's, being my first apple laptop i'll be getting...^_^ SOO EXCITED.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
my macbook is the first mac I've used since 8th grade (original iMacs back then....collect all 5 ;) ) and I love it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Technically, if you think about it, we're all students regardless of how old we are, as long as we learn something new everyday :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook C2D 2GHz 1GB Ram 80GB HD
I even got the $100 off at a local computer store. I asked if they could match the discount so I could get it that day and they said "yup"

You did this without an ID? I'll be buying mine soon and am enrolled but dont have an ID card as I'm only part time....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
When you purchase online, there isn't a verification procedure.
Not directly, but there is a verification process. Apple will check with the university who has the account for a student/school store with them. Then, if Apple doesn't find a match with the buyer's name on record with the school's site used to make the purchase, they can and will most likely bill you for the difference.
I know this, because someone I know once bought a PowerBook, but only after he dropped out and lost his student status. Apple did catch up with him about 2 months later and charged the difference of the discount to his credit card. They had ever right to do so, seeing that he was never eligible for the discount.
So, it comes down to the luck of the draw. Apple may audit all of the sales, or perhaps a select few. I would not advise that anyone try to "cheat the system". :black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Black
just get your friends help-- still somewhat legit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
just get your friends help-- still somewhat legit

Actually no, that's not at all legit. Read the T&C for the student discount. You can't buy equipment for other people.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Black
Actually no, that's not at all legit. Read the T&C for the student discount. You can't buy equipment for other people.

you know- i didnt really think about that, i actually didnt read it- i was a student at the time using my own id and knew i qualified... sorry to lead you astray justin and thanks for the correction

Reaction score
I am a student and I'm going to get a macbook. What I'm unsure is what Apple defines as students. I seems that only students in university are qualitified. I am a College student (in a UK sense) so do I qualify?

Reaction score
High Wycombe, Just outside London, England
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz
I am a student and I'm going to get a macbook. What I'm unsure is what Apple defines as students. I seems that only students in university are qualitified. I am a College student (in a UK sense) so do I qualify?

Yes, depends on how old you are. If you are over 18 then you can buy via the UK website. If you are under 18 then you have to get your parents to do it for you. (I know it sucks but it's the rules).

The follwing is quoted directly from the website.

The following education individuals are eligible to purchase through the Apple Store for Education Individuals:
- a teacher, lecturer, tutor or other supervisor of students at a UK education establishment
- a student aged 18 and over with a valid student card, attending, or accepted into, a UK education establishment
- a parent purchasing on behalf of their child who is a student currently attending or accepted into a UK Higher or Further Education establishment

This is the page I got the info from.

Reaction score
High Wycombe, Just outside London, England
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 2Gb RAM Early 2006, 30Gb iPod 5th Gen. 15" MacBookPro, 2.33GHz
I read this too but what is " Higher or Further Education establishment"?

I believe it is anything above GCSE level school. So if you stay onto the sixth form or go to College for your A' levels or University for a degree (or the social life) then you are eligible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.16ghz Core Duo | 1GB RAM | 100 GB HDD | 256MB ATI RADEON x1600
In my opinion, Apple's student discounts are a joke. After adding in the taxes, the price becomes very similar to its original price. I recommend that you purchase your Mac from an authorized reseller (like MacMall) that offers rebates. Their price after rebates is lower than Apple's Price after taxes.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.