Has 10.4.9 affected volume keys F3, F4 and F5

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 15" C2D, 2.16Ghz, 1.5GB Ram
Is it possible that the new update has affected the volume mute and up/down keys? Just got my MBP yesterday, they seemed to working fine. I updated the OS, then nothing.

Anyone else having this problem? Or any advice to give on trying to troubleshoot it? Swithcher/Noob here saying a thanks in advance for any help. Great work with the forum btw, it's 'the nuts'!

Reaction score
Mine still work fine.

Try pressing the function (Fn) key at the same time, does that work?

If so, and you don't want to have to press the Fn key, go to System Preferences, Keyboard & Mouse, Keyboard and make sure the "Use F1-F12 keys to control software features" is unchecked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 inch Macbook Pro 2 GHz Core Duo 2 GB of Ram: 20 inch iMac 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo 3 GB Ram
I dont know if this is wierd, but my volume actually got louder. I don't need the volume as high anymore. Maynbe just my ears but it is a significant difference. Went from like 4 bars (how loud i want it) all the way down to one bar.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
My volume keys still work, and I can't hear any difference in volume. In fact, the only noticible change is the eject button.

OP
JMG1983
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 15" C2D, 2.16Ghz, 1.5GB Ram
Thank-you Todd, you got it one. Gave your rep a press.

Reaction score
Gomez I saw the same thing, my volume was so loud just on 4 bars!

i'm not seeing any problems on the volume keys front, however my brightness keys (F9 and F10) don't work no more, anyone having this problem?

Reaction score
cazabam -- I hadn't even noticed the delay on the eject button, thanks for pointing that out! It's a great improvement.

dayal -- Have you tried following the same instructions for making sure your function keys are still set properly?

Reaction score
was my mistake ToddG, everythings fine, I got a bit confused in my head.

Reaction score
My sound control keys dont work either after the update sound works fine but cant be controlled the keys work but show a crossed circle under the volume icon when i use them cant mute or get volume down (driving wife crazy) the volume slider on the menu bar wont work either :(

Is it possible that the new update has affected the volume mute and up/down keys? Just got my MBP yesterday, they seemed to working fine. I updated the OS, then nothing.

Anyone else having this problem? Or any advice to give on trying to troubleshoot it? Swithcher/Noob here saying a thanks in advance for any help. Great work with the forum btw, it's 'the nuts'!

Reaction score
Yep, my mac is way louder than it used to be too. I thought I was imagining things at first.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.